Part I: creating a skirt from a Cube in Edit Mode using the Clothing Starter File.
Part II: using the Clothing Starter File to weight-paint the skirt to the avatar’s skeleton.
Timestamps (times are approximate)
• 00:00 – Starter File overview.
• 05:00 – Mesh editing & Smoothing.
• 01:02:00 – Materials, UV editing & UV Map.
• 00:00 – Weight Painting overview.
• 04:00 – Weight Painting.
• 01:02:00 – FBX Export, Assembly, Adjustment.
Description : in this extensive two-part clothing item tutorial we take a look at making a simple knee-length skirt (applicable to any length) in Blender 2.8+ (Blender 2.82 shown/used). In Part I the project starts from the Clothing Starter File (both female or male work) to which a Cube mesh is added and shaped using the avatars Pelvis section and legs (lower) as a guide. This is then UV unwrapped and in Part II, weight painted before being prepped, exported to FBX and assembled in IMVU.
Important: so Creators are under no allusions as to how easy or difficult it might be to make clothing for IMVU, the entire process is shown above to highlight the often repetitive nature of the tasks necessary to manipulate and ‘paint’ vertices to shape and then weight clothing meshes to the avatar skeleton. Clothing is not a quick or easy to make and can be frustrating due to the limitations inherent to using Blender rather than 3DS Max.
Duration : c. 02:50:00 mins (c. 2 hr 50 mins) | Pt I: c. 01:30:00 – Pt II: c. 01:20:00.
Info : *.mp4 | 1080p | c. 1,600 MB (c. 1.6GB).
Project file : KatsBits – Simple Skirt (zip c. 2 MB – *.blend, *.fbx, *.png, *.tga).
Product ID : 49332768.
Design note: see links below for more on topics shown in the video;
– Setting up left or right mouse click.
– What is Mesh Smoothing?.
– The basics of Blender 2.8.
– Material basics, using Nodes in Blender 2.8.
– IMVU compliant material names.
To learn more about specific processes when making clothing see also;
– UV editing a pleated skirt in Blender 2.8+.
– Weight painting (‘skinning’) a pleated skirt in Blender 2.8+.
– Clothing & fixing clipping issues in Blender 2.8+.