Duration: c.2 hr 00 mins (02:00:00).
Suitability: Beginner (basic understanding of Blender required).
Timestamps: (times are approximate);
• 03:00 – Furniture Starter File & Meshing.
• 10:00 – Materials & UV Unwrapping/Mapping.
• 30:00 – Duplication & Joining.
• 40:00 – FBX export/import test.
• 48:00 – Seating, FBX Export #2.
• 56:00 – Append, Pose.
• 1:27:00: – FBX Export #3 Assembly.
• 1:43:00 – Animated Pose w/ Mesh.
• 05:00 – Missing Images.
• 08:00 – Vertex Painting.
• 36:00 – Collections & Extra Seat Nodes.
• 55:00 – Additional Poses.
• 01:30:00 – Adjustments & Final.
Description: using Blender 2.82 (any version will do although the interface will differ), in this video the Furniture Starter File and Alternative Pose File are used to make a custom furniture item for IMVU, a toilet paper/roll seat/throne with a custom pose. First a roll of toilet paper is made from a cylinder (Add » Mesh » Cylinder) then UV unwrapped and mapped using a pre-existing image. The resulting object is then duplicated a number of and positioned/rotated to form a seat of a pile of toilet rolls. Once done the throne object (meshes joined into a single larger item) is brought into the Alternative Pose File using Append as a positional reference for the avatar. Everything is then exported to FBX, imported and assembled in IMVU.
For more on creating custom poses see the IMVU Basics tutorials.
Design note: see links below for more on topics shown in the video;
– Setting up left or right mouse click.
– What is Mesh Smoothing?.
– The basics of Blender 2.8+.
– Material basics, using Nodes in Blender 2.8+.
– IMVU compliant material names.