Duration: Pt I c.1 hr 30 mins (01:30:00) | Pt II c. 1hr (01:00:00).
Suitability: Beginner (basic understanding of Blender helpful).
Timestamps: (times are approximate);
• 03:00 – Accessory Starter File & Meshing (roll).
• 09:00 – Materials & UV Unwrapping/Mapping.
• 24:00 – Prep, Export & Test.
• 40:00 – FBX export/import test (#1).
• 31:30 – Meshing (tentacles).
• 1:12:30 – UV Editing (tentacles).
• 1:22:00 – FBX Export Assembly (#2).
• 05:00 – Vertex Painting.
• 19:00 – Export Test (#1) & Vertex Painting.
• 35:30 – Meshing, Material & UV’s (face).
• 45:30 – Extort (#2) Animated Texture Set Up.
Description: using Blender 2.82 (any version will do although the interface may differ), in this video the Accessory Starter File is used to make a Pet Toilet Paper Octopus for IMVU that latches onto the avatar at the shoulder (clavicle). First the body is made as a roll of toilet paper from a cylinder (Add » Mesh » Cylinder) and UV unwrapped and mapped using a pre-existing image. A plain is added and similarly UV unwrapped and mapped, duplicated eight times and shaped to form simple tentacles, everything being positioned to wrap around the avatar. Once done the the resulting meshes are joined together, prepped as an Accessory, exported to FBX then imported and assembled in IMVU, finally using the Animated Texture feature to animate the Pets face!.
For more on creating custom poses see the IMVU Basics tutorials.
Design note: see links below for more on topics shown in the video;
– Setting up left or right mouse click.
– What is Mesh Smoothing?.
– The basics of Blender 2.8+.
– Material basics, using Nodes in Blender 2.8+.
– IMVU compliant material names.
• IMVU Hangout  – Toilet Paper Octopus.
• IMVU Hangout  – Toilet Paper Octopus Animated Face.