In this video we take a specific look at weight painting a simple clothing item, a vest-style top, for IMVU in real-time so it properly articulates and moves with the avatar (female shown but also male applicable – Clothing Starter Files). To do this we use Blenders Weight Paint tools, a special editing or interaction mode available in the 3D View, that makes it easier to create and manage the underlying Vertex Groups that actually control the mesh.
Design note: to activate Weight Paint mode select Armature first then mesh (last). From the editing context or Interaction Mode selector (upper-left), switch to Weight Paint (alternatively press Ctrl + Tab to open the quick access pie menu). Repeat and select Object Mode to switch back to normal editing. For Pose Mode, select the Armature and chose Pose Mode from the list.
Duration : total c. 40 mins (00:40:00).
Info : 1080p | Total c. 490 MB.
Project file : n/a.
Product ID: n/a.
Design note: see links below for more on topics shown in the video;
– Setting up left or right mouse click.
– What is Mesh Smoothing?.
– The basics of Blender.
– Material basics, using Nodes in Blender.
– IMVU compliant material names.
Times are approximate.
Video : Weight Painting – c. 40 mins (40:00).
– 00:00 : Overview & Start.
– 04:00 : Modifiers & First Pass.
– 14:00 : Removing Weights & Second Pass.
– 25:00 : Material Colour & Third Pass.
– 32:00 : Mesh Structure & Final Pass.