How to make an ASE model from brush volumes
Sometimes manipulating brush models ('models' being a collection of brushes grouped together) cause major problems when they need to be rotated. To fix this these types of object can be compiled as *.bsp files that can be converted using Q3Map2 using Q3Map2 Toolz interface, or from the command line (CMD prompt or a *.bat file).
The process is relatively simple;
1) ensure the object is fully textured relative to it's eventual use (this including caulking all non-visible surfaces).
2) drop an info_player_start
entity into Radiant.
3) surround all the objects in a caulk-hull.
4) compile to *.bsp using "BSP -meta
5) in Q3Map2Toolz select "convert
" and type "ase
" in the input field (Q3Map2Toolz is available here)
6) click "Run BSP
File will be written to a default "maps" folder from whence it can be moved to "mapobject" before being loaded without any additional editing - so long as the mesh is set up correctly it will be UV mapped and textured meaning it can be used immediately.