KatsBits Community

[MD5] EXPORT script for Blender 2.6x (OPEN)

keless · 228 · 262410

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
OK that is odd.. I'm not entirely sure why it faults on "uv_texture" unless that's the point at which the export process realises there's an oopsie. But yes... the problem was you hadn't properly (fully) prepped the item for export - you must make sure this is done. What you're missing is and Armature Modifier assigned to the mesh, and an Armature Action (animation) with more than one frame. Read through the How to export and MD5" guide I linked to previously as everything you need to know and should be doing is explained there in detail.

Not that you may get additional but different errors until the mesh is set-up correctly and exportable.

[EDIT] I deleted the attachment after I downloaded it by the way, in case you were wondering why it doesn't appear.

Offline D-Meat

• Defunct
    • portfolio
Did you manage to export it ?
I added the armature modifier (somehow it disappeared at some point , i'm pretty sure I added it before sending you the file), I did a 2 frame animation with different angles for the upper bone, and named the animation "none" in the action editor. I think I followed all the instructions correctly.

The error remains the same.

Right now I'm trying again with a simple cube, maybe that will do ...

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Yes, it exported for me (send an email info@katsbits.com and I'll return the 'fixed' files). In the meantime, in addition to the above, make sure you triangulate the mesh ("Ctrl+T" on a selection) before export, that looks to be the reason for the initial error (the script doesn't auto-tris meshes - it's usually best to do that manually though for better control over edge-flipping). The Action and Armature don't necessarily need to articulate, there just needs to be two or more frames for export. Also don't worry about loosing the animation as that likely just means you didn't have the Fake-User set against the sequence.

Offline D-Meat

• Defunct
    • portfolio
I could export a single cube, textured and with a 2 bone armature and everything.

Thanks for all the info ! I'll try to export my plane again, and if nothing works, I'll send you an e-mail.

Tomorrow's challenge will be to make this work in ioQuake 3, and this doesn't seem very easy :)

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
If it were easy, everyone would be doing it and we'd no longer be special ;)

Offline D-Meat

• Defunct
    • portfolio
If it were easy, everyone would be doing it and we'd no longer be special ;)

I guess so :D

I could export my plane, and I could point out the problem : it's not acutally a hard triangulization that it needed, having quads is just fine, but it won't support faces with more than 4 edges, and I actually had one I forgot at the nose of the plane.

Since 2.67, I think, blender supports multi edge faces. I'll check if it can be turned off somewhere.

Maybe you can add that detail to the tutorial you wrote :)

Thanks again !

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Ah that would explain why triangulation 'fixes' the problem and allows export, breaking the mesh down kills the nGon (creates 'standard' faces). Will update the tutorial. Glad you got this sorted out.

Offline overdrivekaz

• Defunct
Hello Admin Masters.

I have problem with exporting to md5. I have the same problem with D-meat, but I've manage to export successfully while reading the previous post. but there is one problem. how come the UV map doesn't appear?.. i have output only mesh and anim file... Hope I could get help. THanks :)

Offline D-Meat

• Defunct
    • portfolio
from my experience from idTech3 and ioQuake 3 (which actually doesn't support md5, but what I learned about md5 exporting was useful to export IQM), you have to name your material to the path of your shader / material ("models/player/sarge", maybe). if you open the console, there might be a line where it says "texture for shader **** not found", and from what the **** are, you can guess where to specify where to put your shader / texture :)

Just guessing ...

Offline overdrivekaz

• Defunct
nope. there are no notifications displayed or etc. it seems to have successfull. but i can't get the textures displayed.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Hmm, yes in addition to what D-Meat said check the resulting files in the MD5 Modelveiwer. If the md5mesh and md5anim files exported correctly you should get a message asking you to add the textures/materials for viewing in the app. If you don't get that then there's an issue with material and or UVW assignments. One thing to note though, your objects MUST have a Materials assigned, you can't simply UVW map the mesh and assigned the texture directly because that doesn't provide the necessary underlying material data the MD5 format needs. Also remember that MD5 are text files, you can open them in NotePad or similar and check the data that way.

Offline overdrivekaz

• Defunct
i see. thanks.

btw I have assigned materials for objects of course. yes yes. I do got a prompt that is looking for the texture files. currently my image source are png format. does it necessary to convert them to TGA?. Thanks very much.

btw. i have a total of 10 shaders. each have different material names. but when i open it in notepad. all shaders have only 1 shader name.

i tried to edit the txt file manually. but still i get no shade display.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
I can't remember off the top of my head if the MD5Viewer supports PNG images so yes, you may need to have a working file as TGA so you can properly/fully test the mesh once it's been exported.

As for the number of materials issue: MD5 doesn't allow multiple shaders/materials/textures on the same object. That means the object needs to be split per-material (the mesh then is composed from several sub-meshes, each one assigned a unique material/texture). Or, you will need to condense the materials together as best you can (which may still mean that where multiple materials are used, associated mesh sections will need to be separated into sub-objects). See the How To section on "MESH PREP Materials, Textures & UVW maps"

Offline overdrivekaz

• Defunct
thanks sir.. that is exactly my model looks like. 1 mesh with multiple shaders.. but i removed the rest and used only one material. then still doesn't show its effect. i also used tga format and still nothing happens.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
What effect are you referring to? Can you post a screenshot of what you're looking at in Blender or the MD5 model viewer?