Sponsored Adverts

Author Topic: [Unity] Fantasy asset pack for maps, levels, environments  (Read 1590 times)

Offline kat

• Administrator
[Unity] Fantasy asset pack for maps, levels, environments
« on: July 20, 2018, 09:01:44 PM »

Now available in Unity Asset Store

NEW! Fantasy environment asset-pack for Unity. Includes 120+ tiling meshes optimised to use less than a dozen core Materials (stone themed diffuse, normal, specular). Built to snap to Unity's 1m/unit grid. Meshes stand 2m/u high (flexible default). Various widths, typically x1, x2 ,x4. Click here for details!.

#Unity3D #gamedev #gameart #gameready #Unity #AssetStore

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
Re: [Unity] Fantasy asset pack for maps, levels, environments
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 07:47:18 PM »
hi everyone, i've been working with kat's meshes and textures from his commercial fantasy set. i will be offering for free my unity prefabs here on katsbits, for anyone who purchased his set. when i've finished converting all his meshes to prefabs, including writing scripts for some of the dynamics. it's a lot of work as it's well over a 100 of them. i'm currently about 80% done.

in the meantime here's some screencaps of one of kat's dynamic levers (which i'll be adding scripts to in the near future) as well one of his static archways. the green boxes are the unity compound colliders, and are child objects of the parent container object. the mesh renderer is another child object.

the red version is just a couple of colored directional lights i use when working with the primitive colliders to help them stand out more, the original stone and wood materials are unmodified.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 08:18:32 PM »
if i remember correctly, the main reason for using unity's built in colliders as opposed to mesh colliders, is the physic engine is a lot slower at testing each tris in a mesh, than it is testing the primitive shapes like box, sphere and capsule, even when there are more of the latter.

so while it does work using a collision mesh exported from blender, our games should in theory run faster if we keep the mesh colliders to a minimum, for example a terrain, which would be impractical to build using primitives.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 11:20:16 PM »
this image shows a collision test i did to work out if we could use box colliders for roundish prefabs. although the results are pretty decent and performed well with my own character controller, the amount of transform rotated box colliders were too time consuming to use in production. so i'll likely use a single convex mesh collider for cases like this in the future.

these next three images show a light blocker sub object. this is used to fix light leaks in the real time shadows. apparently certain step, or corner shapes, in the render meshes can sometimes produce thin streaks of light where shadows should be cast.

Offline kat

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 12:41:45 AM »
Noicely done (nicely done)!. Helps clear up the discussion under the Unity collisions video as well.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 01:05:07 AM »
he he, thanks kat.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 01:53:53 AM »

although this wooden crate is not included in kat's fantasy set, it will hopefully be available in the future, along with other similar dynamic prefabs.

the first image shows the cracked parts of the crate still fitted together, which kat modeled in blender. as this was a test it's not the final version, but gives an indication of what is possible.

the various broken parts are held within a parent prefab. basically a unity empty which acts like an origin for the group of rigidbody objects. the yellow gizmos are my force points, as i call them. level designers will be able drag the tips of these around the 3d scene, in order to instruct my breakable script to apply an explosion like force in the direction of the tips.

the second image is half way through the crate exploding apart. the length of the yellow gizmos don't actually affect the amount of force (speed) of each child object, instead that variable can be set as a random range within my breakable script's inspector options.

the unity console window is also printing out the results of my object pool script. which is a type of manager script that recycles dynamic objects like bullets, breakable objects, collectibles etc.

i'm also experimenting with the amount of damage that my health script passes to the breakable script, possibly affecting the explosion force.

so in theory if the player jumped up and down on top of a dynamic crate, then it might just crack apart after it's health runs out. whereby if the player shot the crate with a rocket, or dropped down from a significant height, then the crate might explode.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 07:07:19 PM »

i've been busy the last 3 months, mainly switching from monodevelop to visual studio for code writing. it took me while to learn and configure vs, as it's a lot more complicated than mono. i also made my own fonts and colors interface theme for it.

anyway, i'm back on track producing content again... this 1st image shows some test results of me getting gizmos cubes to rotate correctly, using a script that reads from the inspector's transform component. unfortunately this is not a feature built directly into unity's editor when it comes to gizmos, but it's very useful. especially when creating visual aids for prefab objects like spawn points. as seen in the 2nd image.

my script displays a single boolean checkbox in the inspector called "is character". if ticked it will adjust the scale and positions of some of the gizmos parts.

this script doesn't actually spawn anything. it's just the visual aid for the position and rotation that a spawner script would use.

i will be releasing all the scripting and prefabs i show here in the future, unless they are superseded or prove to be unstable.

Offline kat

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 08:22:32 PM »
Very nice.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 09:27:40 PM »
thanks kat.

Sponsored Adverts
RSS Content is copyright © KatsBits™ 2018 unless otherwise stated. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this web site may be reproduced (except for personal use, or otherwise stated) without prior written permission from KatsBits.com. For more infomation on copyright click here.
Web design cpdtAdvertisePrivacy PolicyDMCA (about DMCA) Home Store Workshops Blog Jobs Support About Katsbits Contact Site Search KatsBits Help Site Map RSS feed Forum YouTube FaceBook LinkedIn Twitter IMVU