General Category > FAQ on games, gaming & IT

SCAM WARNING: Illusion Mage, 3D Magix Pro, Mirage Wizard - do NOT buy

<< < (8/9) > >>

kat:
Just a few more domain names pushing the IllusionMage scam.

* eillusionmage.org
* illusion-mage.org
* illusionmagee.com
* illusionmagey.com
* illusion-mage-reviews.com
* illusionmagereviewsite.com
* illusionmages.net

dsol:
I've just set up a twitter feed for the other 3D app I use - Lightwave -  and within minutes I had these schmucks following me, hoping I'd follow them - or just link to their site no doubt.

I reported it as a spam account. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the account, or else I'd recommend others report them too. They're probably spamming with multiple twitter accounts. Scum.

kat:
Thanks for posting. Yeah they pretty much need you ("us") to follow their accounts to lend credibility to their spurious products. Twitter et-al seem very slow to act, if at all, on these sorts of 'infringements'. And so long as they have a gateway through which they can monetise (ClickBank) then they'll keep doing it.

Slightly OT: I was watching TV the other week and saw Mr Avery's original picture being used in some personal injury accident claimant advert.. very funny stuff (not seen the advert since unfortunately).

kat:
IllusionMage is a electronically distributed 'eproduct' attributed to a fictitious 'owner' whose identity has changed on a number of occasions. The product itself is a ZIP or RAR archive (depending on source) comprising a number of freely available and Open Sourced applications and other materials; this includes (but is not limited to), a typically outdated version of Blender 3D, and miscellaneous community authored documentation.

Other names the bundle has or is beening sold under include "IllusionMage3D", "3DMagix" and "3DMagixPro". There are also a number of associated domain names[1][2][3], typically registered by third party sales afflilates.

Criticism: IllusionMage has come under heavy criticism by many prominent Blender news sites and community figures, including Ton Roosendaal the founder of the Blender Foundation, BlenderNation et-al, due to the way attribution is often obfuscated, making it unclear to prospective customers that they are in fact purchasing material that is freely available elsewhere on the Internet from less dubious sources.

kat:

--- Quote from: kat on July 22, 2011, 06:21:40 PM ---...It could also be that the scammers came across this obscure web page and 'hijacked' the guys name and photo to lend credibility to the scam. Would need to look into this one.
--- End quote ---
Turns out that this is in fact what has happened here. The real Seth got in touch to say the image posted was indeed of him and he wasn't aware of, nor in any way associated with, the fake "Seth Avery". In other words, he had had his identity stolen by the people behind the scam so they appeared 'real' and legit.

If there were any doubts about the legitimacy of Illusion Mage/3D Magix Pro this should put the final nail in that particular coffin as a most definite not only scam, but actual fraud. As a result the images have been removed for the time being at his request.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version