KatsBits Community

big brother wants to censor your games

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Yes, extremely hypocritical, ban one medium when similar material is available for another; you couldn't get a better example of that than the Australian ratings system where M rated movies and music seems possible, but not video games. If a country wants to stand by it's rights and liberties (notice I don't use the word "freedoms" there), it has to accept the good and the bad, dealing with the latter when and where appropriate.. to do otherwise sets the precedent of incremental-ism, a slow gradual banning of anything that's deemed unsuitable by a partisan and non representative few, elected by an uninformed minority.

I'm at a point now where I'm starting to think that even our own BBFC/PEGI system of enforcement is tackling the problem from the wrong end of the stick, we shouldn't really be punishing the industry, game shops especially, because they do more than enough to make the issues surrounding games ratings 'visible' in the public mind. Films and other media have had ratings slapped all over them for a good 30+ years so there's really no excuse for this to be happening; if a kid buys a game there's only one  real reason for that, they've not been told it's not appropriate for them to be doing that. In other words, it's yet again the absence of the parental guiding hand informing offspring what games are about and why the ratings system exists (obviously that's a gross overgeneralization, but you get the point).

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
@ kat, totally agreed and another example is a parent would probably not leave their **** dvd's lying around their living room but they don't hide away their m rated games, so of course the kids are going to want to play them especially if left alone for hours on end.