KatsBits Community

Why do they make things so difficult?

kat · 1 · 6969

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
So I'm trying to download a demo of Corels Video Pro application and well, I've got it on one PC but I wanted to then copy the installer over my network onto another PC to save me downloading it again. Bad move; I've just wasted nearly two hours trying to get the sodding thing to work.  >:(

The file isn't an *.exe, it's a *.dat file that has an associated download manager the seems to be more temperamental than it needs to be; it'll only activate and continue on the machine it was originally downloaded to. Not only that but if you move the files about - it saves by default to the desktop, one thing that's guarantied to have me needing to smashy-smashy something! - that will 'break' the links to not only the dat file but also the URL used to re-activate and continue with download and install. And don't even mention that fact that it's saving the temp file somewhere it can't be got at (not in users, not in the 'install directory' and so on).

Why on earth do they make things so difficult? I just want to copy and EXE file over my network, double-click and install the app; surely if they need to do some tracking or authentication, adding a few hundred KB to a file that's already over 600MB isn't going to make that much of a difference. It's at times like these that I can see a pirates main arguments "I can't get what I want when I want it". Software companies seem to be in such a rush to protect themselves and their property these days that they're forgetting about simple usability issues.