• VIP
    • My Portfolio
playing with 2.5 now.

I'm just going to leave this here...

[removed dead img ref]

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
That's a good start. Watch the sleeve ends, things like that are a real pain to rig and animated correctly so as to avoid it clipping into the body when the arms are down. Also be mindful that in using 2.5 your export options are limited, I think at the moment it only has DAE (Collada) and FBX (Autodesk), so it could be a little tricky to use the charactar in idtech or Unreal et-al.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
agreed, that's a good start milk *thumbs up*

kat, what would be the best way to model the hanging part of the sleeves? as i understand about the clipping issue.

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
thanks guys. I hadn't made anything in blender in so long that I was pulling my hair out on my first attempt at this last night. 1:30 in the morning and I tried starting with the cube on a mirror modifier ending up with a gingerbread man type of model XD

Then I remembered my old workflow of starting with half of a (8 vertices) cylinder. Made things a bit easier. Especially when it came to the armpit area since that was really making me upset as some poles had managed to sneak their way in to the mesh topology.

I am wondering how to deal with those sleeves as well. I don't really plan on having this in a game though so I think I can get away with doing a cloth simulation and just letting the cloth do its thing without having to worry about animating it myself.

Would be fun to have a controllable toph though............hm.

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
[removed dead img refs - kat]

Not really sure what I'm doing with the feet. The heel really stumps me.

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
More stuff today after some Blender crashes and out of order parenting.

[removed dead img refs - kat]

Oh, by the way, the clothing is on a separate layer. I ended up making this body mesh (working on the joints) for the cloth to deform over during cloth simulation.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
That second set has better feet, it's often just a case of pushing the shapes around until you get something that looks and feels right. Remember though, you can use your own body parts as references, even better if you have your own pair of ninja boots!

I've had 2.5 Alpha 2 crash on me a few times as well, usually when using the sculpt tools. There's apparently a new SVN available with a fair amount of fixes and updates.

OT: For screenshots JPEGs are usually good enough to show what you want, using PNGs doesn't really 'add' anything in terms of quality, so all it tends to do is bloat the file sizes and slow down the page loads.

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
Thanks. Yeah, I hadn't defined her ankle bracelets very well and after making them pop the ankles look much thinner (no longer bracelet thickness XD). I still think I need to work on the topology of the heel.

She's barefoot so I'll be creating a semi-detailed foot (with toes) so it doesnt look like she's wearing boots :) She wears a cover over the top of her feet which is what the thin face loop circling the feet are part of. (near the sole).

-----------------------------------------------

I just downloaded the latest release for Windows 7 from the SVN repo last night (was r30542 I believe) so things *should* be a bit more stable than the build from Blender.org (got it from graphicall.org)

-----------------------------------------------

PNGs are just a habit I've developed since I was moving wallpapers around and used the format to avoid jpg artifacts. It's not a big deal for preview shots but when I want to ensure a quality image I use png. My last set of images are jpg actually.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
What I'd do with the feet is leave them as-is for now and get the rest of the body sorted out. It's important at this stage to get your edge loop distribution a bit more balanced so you should be looking to either remove a few from around the body, or, add some to the legs so you can start to shape those a bit better; leaving the legs as tubes is one of the reasons why it's sometimes tricky to get the feet right because those are built relative to what the leg looks like, especially when you're eyeballing it.

Also, keep an eye on her centre of gravity which tends to run through the pelvis - if you note in the side view her top half is pushed forward a little too far relative to that so you need to pull it back a bit and push the upper thigh/waist forward so a plumb line drops approximately down from the top of her head to her feet through the hips in a more centralised fashion. See attached, had to fudge the fix as I don't have a proper 'liquify' tool.

Offline pazur

So many people are saying that 2.5 is unstable... I guess I will wait until it's really usable though all the new features and the new interface look great.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Just something knocked up for IMVU. Used one of my old brick textures for this one! 345 tris using 10 512x512 textures that are AO baked. Chopper is AO baked as well but quite high at around 1500 tris, the rotors do go round but that animation break in IMVU due to various incompatabilities.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Working on this abandoned boxcar for IMVU, scene is done as users can add items to decorate the scene to make it look more derelict if they want.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
hi guys,

it's been a long time since i posted any modeling work, i actually went about 10 months without doing any, while i worked on the writing and concept design of my new ip project.

anyway, here's some wip images of my lead female character's medium poly head. the red is just to help me work in blender, her skin color will eventually be light grey as she's not from earth.

oh, and i've been teaching myself 100% quad poly modeling, which took me ages to train my mind to imagine where the edge loops would go to avoid single tris. i've still got a lot to learn but i'm getting there i think. saying that feel free to point out any obvious mistakes you guys see or suggest ways to improve the edgeloops.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
more attachments.

edit: kat, any way for the forum to let us preview the attached images before we post?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Not all attachments are images so unfortunately we can't preview them. The head looks good, no real crits.