KatsBits Community

[blender] Hair mesh too shiny

boodrl · 22 · 32019

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
Yeah, I had thought it was z-fighting that I was looking at. I've never seen any extreme compression artifacts myself so that didn't even come to mind. Since they're not flickering it's not the z-buffer being upset with you so it's probably more than likely some funkadelic compression artifacts.

Offline boodrl

I don't know if it is just coincidence or if this helps understanding the issue but I uploaded the image texture to the mesh in blender and then I selected render preview the same patches seemed to be an issue. Could this mean this is a blender issue?

This is the picture in the render preview. the textures were uploaded in blender

This is a picture with the texture and the mesh in dragonage.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
That, I have to say, is very odd. Normally stuff like that just doesn't happen because all you're doing is effectively exporting a 'blank' mesh that has UVW map assigned. What appears to be different for Dragon Age specifically is the face-sorting... that's actually the first time I've ever come across that for a game model by the way (and in Blender I might add), so I wonder if that's causing the issue somehow?

What I'd do to test this is try and 'reset' the sort order of the mesh, re-export and see if the problem changes in some way. If it does then you know that's probably where the error is. If it doesn't then there's something else causing the issue.

Also.. I just noticed the the hair (mesh?) looks slightly 'faceted' so check your smooth groups, although that may be a direct result of the problem you're having.

Offline boodrl

kat you've done it again. Thank you for helping me understand this process. The advice about the .tga format was a big success and now I'm figuring out how to edit the face settings in blender.

there is already a great improvement

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
From reading the docs the hairs actual colouration comes from a separate 'tint' texture, is that right, in this case that's making the hair gold/blond, right?.

So where is the 'green' coming from? Is there, or are you standing in front of the green lightsource? Or have you got a green texture being used as part of the hair unit somewhere? If your character moves around in a scene, do those green spots move with the mesh or do they stay put?

Offline boodrl

The green spots move with the mesh.They stay on the same spot as the mesh and I don't have any green layers or channels in the texture file. I don't have a tint file because I believe that file is optional. I can also tell you that the green spots disappear as I am "face sorting" I'm having a little difficultly with the face sorting since this particular mesh as braids on the side.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Ah good, you're getting somewhere, at least you now know it's the face sorting that's causing the issue.