KatsBits Community

[D3] D3 Edit Patch Mesh

Offline Asaeis Wi Vio

Heya, I posted here a while ago to ask some questions about a skeletal animation thing with blender to add more animations, allthough I haven't been able to continue that due to the reasons I outlined before.

However, this time I am using Doom 3 edit, and am trying to create organic geometry (such as rocks, caves, etc), I believe that that is done through patch meshes? I have done this before on Q4 edit, allthough that was a long time ago; and unfortunately there are no or (very little) tutorials, official or otherwise on how to do this.

Is there a tutorial available on this, or would somebody mind outlining how to go about making organic terrain here?

Thanks in advanced.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Simple terrain from patch meshes, yes. More complex terrain and/or rocks.. no. You can do something called three point clipping, chipping away at blocks of brushwork in the Radiant, but as it doesn't have any smoothing so you'd end up with your rocks looking faceted and hard edged under the dynamic lighting system.

The best route to take with anything more complex than simple patch based terrain is to model it in a 3D app, export that as an ASE model and then import that into the map. There are some downloadable ASE rock models in the downloads section that you might be able to use to some extent.

Offline Asaeis Wi Vio

Thanks,

Were the organic places found in Doom 3, such as in Hell for instance, made from a compilation of patch meshes? I'm pretty sure I can just combine them together to make what I need, if that's the case.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
They're actually ASE and LWO models. LWO in particular is used whenever they needed to do multi-texture blending (if you think about some of the melted areas in game, those are LWO models), something ASE can't do as well - D3 interprets limited capabilities with ASE as id software primarily worked with Lighwave and implimented the *.lwo format directly into the tools.

Offline Asaeis Wi Vio

Thankfully, as it just so happens; I own Lightwave. So thanks, I will try to use that to create organic geometory.