KatsBits Community

blender 2.61 theme colors

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
i'm in the process of customizing the default windows layout and colors of the latest blender to be more akin to how i have been working in 2.49.

most of the colors i can find and tweak to my liking but i can't find the tool tips colors. does anyone know where they are set in 2.61?

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
i found one of the tool tip colors, which uses the file menu > user preferences > themes > user interface > menu back as it's background color, although i haven't yet found the text color. ideally the devs would had given tool tips their own colors and not share them with other items.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
I had a quick look and yeah there doesn't appear to be a "ToolTip" sub-section in there. Might be worth submitting this as a bug or feature request.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
thanks kat, and do you have a link to where i could request this feature?

also for as long as i've been using blender, i've wished i could change the colors of the 3d cursor, i assume they still haven't given us that option but surely it must be possible with the new interface?

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
another element of the ui that i'm struggling to find the color mapping for, is those little crosses in the top left and right of the 3d view which show the tool shelf and properties if they have been hidden, also toggled with t and n keys. if anyone can help, please post in here.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
i might be wrong but it seems like the rgb and hsv values for the solid opengl lights in the user preferences > system tab are wrong, ie they don't match the hex colors. can someone confirm this?

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
It's the Gamma Correction kicking in that's doing that (which can't be disabled AFAIK). If you test the values in a photo-editing app you'll find HEX to be a couple of shades lighter than the RGB and HSV numbers. An RGB of R0.5, G0.5, B0.5 equals an HSV of H0.0, S0.0, V0.5, which should equate to a HEX value of #7F7F7F or thereabouts. But, it actually gives you #BCBCBC which is a couple of shades lighter - it works about to be about 27% black (light grey) instead of the 50% (mid grey) you'd expect with those RGB/HSV values.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
thanks kat, i think i understand, although why do the same hex values in other parts of blender2.61 have different results? is the gamma correction only used on some colors, lights etc?

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Not too sure. At a guess it's probably related the gamma adjustments monitors use when in OpenGL? Don't really know to be frank, although it does seem an odd thing to do when the other palettes seem fine *shrugs*

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
thanks, and i've since found a few customizable colors other than the opengl lights which appear to be using the different gamma scale than others, so i'm assuming this is a bug as it doesn't make sense from a design aspect imo.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Check with the bug tracker (blender.org) to see if there are any reports on this. If not, submit a report to see what the response is, there may be a legit reason for it which they've just not published.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
thanks for the link kat. i'll probably do this tomorrow, along with reporting any other bugs i find, if they haven't already been reported.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
i had a look at their bug tracker but didn't really understand it, i feel like such a newb but is there any documentation on using the bug tracker?

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
lol same here  ;D

When you log in there should be an additional menu item "Submit New". Click that. Lower down the page, select a "Category" from the drop-down list, then add a "Summery", a "Description" (with attachments where necessary) then press "Submit". You don't really need to do anything else (oh make sure you're in the 2.6 tracker and not the 2.5, there are two different sets to track/submit for now).

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
hehe, thanks a lot kat, i hadn't registered so that's probably why i couldn't see the submit buttons.