KatsBits Community

UDK now supports Apple iOS

kat · 8 · 12669

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
The December release of UDK beta now contains support for Apple's iOS which means you can use the development kit to make game content for iPods, iPhones and iPads (as well as standard Mac OS?). If you want more on the tech skinny for what this means visit the official site at http://www.udk.com.

Keep in mind that if you do use UDK for iPhone/iPad/iPod game/media development you will be (currently are) required to buy a Apple Developers Program license, which currently starts at $99US for the iOS Developers Program. Your apps and/or games can only be sold and distributed through AppStore and Apple takes a (minimum?) 30% commission on sales for doing so.

In addition to Apples development fees, UDK also carries with it similar licencing conditions; an up-front fee of $99US and 25% royalty on revenue above $5000US is applicable, assuming you're making a game for distribution NB. it's not clear if the up-front fee is a one off payment on registering the licence, it's assumed it is. There are different license structures depending on what you're doing so be sure to read the terms and conditions carefully.

As you can see, for individual devs there's a reasonable amount of money needed to get started, and that's not necessarily inclusive of your apps being approved and accepted by Apple for sale in App Store (I know a few indie devs that have had apps refused for what seem rather arbitrary reason, well as best as they can figure out as Apple doesn't always appear forthcoming with their reasons for rejection); if you can spread the costs all the better.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
kat, interesting and could you tell us what the official reasons given for refusal were?

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
I've no idea... and that's the problem, Apple don't exactly make it clear why they refuse approval; an educated guess would be that most refusals are going to be 'ratings' related (inappropriate content and such).

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
in other words censorship, shame because i've also heard that apple are heavy handed with content they don't want their customers to be exposed to, which i personally think should be up to customers, especially the adult ones who can have their age verified in one form or other.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
In a word yes, that's the price you pay for participation in a walled garden that belongs to a private corporation; you have no choice but to play by their rules (irrespective as to how 'liberal' or 'limiting' they may appear to be). I do think the industry needs some form of *ratings system* but it should be voluntary and not legally enforceable as it is in the UK and most of Euroland. Companies like Apple can do what they want within their own network, subject to broader ratings requirements. Swings and roundabouts really.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
totally agreed, and it seems there are more of these metaphysical walls nowadays than i was previously aware of. still though as you say we don't really have a choice other then opting not to use a particular service.

my colleagues and i have decided the first sku of my ip will likely be an interactive cgi graphic novel, as the video game version would likely need a pro dev team to help us, but we could probably dev the former as a small indie team with a few more members.

anyway, we're going to describe it as ao (adults only) due to the adult content not needing to be nerfed by the esrb or other video game censorship boards. we're also aware it will probably only be available via digital dl, and the ipad would of been a nice platform to use from the sounds of it, if it wasn't for apple. but we'd much rather earn less money in the future when the product is ready, and maintain artistic freedom then nerf our own work to make other people happy who are not our target users.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
According to an article on Develop-Online, Epic have clarified their position with regards to it's percentage commission on UDK sales. It basically works out to be a sliding scale of sorts, the more you earn the more they take. But... it's not as bad as it first appeared to be because the commission isn't on your NET scale, but the GROSS after other commission have been taken. In other words your 'profit' (after 'expenses') is what's taken into account. For example;

1: YOU Game costs $4.99. Selling 15,000 copies earns $74,850 (Net).
2: GATEWAY Store takes $22,455 as its 30%, leaving $52,395 (Gross)
2: EPIC You keep $50,000 (threshold), Epic take $598.75 as its 25% on the remaining $2,395, leaving $1796.25.
4: TOTALS Your total gross is $51,796.25 ($74,850 less $23,053.75 commissions). Epics commission is $598.75.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
interesting and that doesn't sound bad as far as eipic's involvement since the udk has a lot of features and dev already put into it, but 30% for the online store, seems steep, or does that also include the license for the ios?