KatsBits Community

[MD5] EXPORT script for Blender 2.6x (OPEN)

keless · 228 · 262265

Offline keless

Shoot, ignore those errors-- I left in some (failed) attempt at action animation selection in the export UI. Try again, same link.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Yep, sterling work. Its now exporting animation length based on the "Start:" and "End:" positions.

There is a caveat using this approach though; you can't do a multi-export. Because the start/end data determines the length of an animation it would mean all anims being exported using the same values irrespective of actual (needed) length. The only way around that would be to add some sort of option field per animation where users set the start and end point of each action, a bit impractical doing that though (not too mention over-complicating the script).

Offline keless

Added an enum drop-down for "mesh & anim", "mesh only" or "anim only" exporting.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1556553/io_export_md5.9-22-2010.py

It's not something I'd sell to my grandmother, but I'm calling this full featured.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Not had a chance to test this yet, but once I've done that I'll add it to the site as a download.

[EDIT]Now had a chance to use and yep so far everything exports out correctly. Well done. Will add this to the sites tools page ASAP.

Offline motorsep

Awesome exporter, thank you.

I have modified blender2md5 (by der_ton) that exports to Half-Life 2 SMD along with Doom 3 MD5. However the exporter is for Blender 2.49b.
Is there a way you could add an option to export to HL2 SMD to your exporter?
Thanks.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Tested in Blender 2.55beta, exported the same bunny mesh and an animation without any issues.

@ motorsep: wouldn't the HL2 *.smd be better off as a separate exporter or is does it use the same data as MD5?

Offline motorsep

The output is not the same, but I think it uses the same math as for MD5.

Posted the same question at Blenderartists and the answer solved all the problems:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Blender_SMD_Tools

I haven't tried it yet, so I am not sure how comfortable GUI is, but sounds like it's what we have been waiting for, for a long time :)

Offline motorsep

Doesn't work with 2.55.1

======================================
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/motorsep/software/blender25/2.55/scripts/io/io_export_md5.py", line 848, in invoke
    WindowManager.add_fileselect(self)
AttributeError: 'WindowManager' object has no attribute 'add_fileselect'

======================================

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
In development subtrees of Blender always tend to break scripts so make sure you're using the latest official release from Blender.org.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Script is broken in Blender 2.56beta with the following error;
Code: [Select]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.56\scripts\io\io_export_md5.py", line 848, in invoke
    WindowManager.add_fileselect(self)
AttributeError: 'WindowManager' object has no attribute 'add_fileselect'

Offline motorsep

Are script authors still around? Reallly need a fix to those issues, please.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Are both the MD5 and ASE script still broken in the 2.56b update!? I've not had a chance to test them yet.