KatsBits Community

[Q4] what is Sky Caulk and how is it used?

cuetip · 9 · 10973

Offline cuetip

What is sky caulk and how is it supposed to be used?

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
iirc you would use it on the skybox faces that aren't visible to the player, ie the outside of the skybox and in between the joins. i might be wrong though, but i'm sure kat or one of the other guys will correct me if need be.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
What Ratty said. Normal caulk can cause problems on brushes covered in sky shaders/textures so when you cut them up you use "sky" caulk instead of normal caulk on the unwanted sides. Same goes for "water" caulk, that does a similar thing - both are nodraw surfaces that are 'solid' to the engine.

Offline cuetip

Hmm. Well I loaded up a Quake 4 SP map, airdefense1, and the entire sky and sky walls were all sky caulk. What I don't understand is how the skybox texture is painted on the sky if no skybox texture is selected for those sky brushes. I tested the sky caulk texture and it doesn't contain any kind of skybox texture, as I expected. So how is id making an actual skybox texture appear in the sky using only sky caulk? I hid the sky caulk texture to check if there was an actual skybox texture under it, but there wasn't. Any ideas?

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
interesting and to clarify have you checked their sky shaders or just the textures?

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Zoom out of the grid view and you'll see a big box off to the left, that's a 'skybox' (it contains something that looks like a rocket). Skycaulk looks to have been used to 'seal' the main level off from the void (so the level doesn't leak) whilst allowing the skybox texture (which is a star field) to 'auto-project' around the rest of the map; you can't normally do that without causing a HoM (Hall of Mirrors) effect. Also check for 'projection' entities in that general area (they also used a 'projected' skyboxes in some levels iirc).

Offline cuetip

The space field is for the opening cutscene. It's not seen when in the level. The other giant room with all the blue sky textures seems like where the skybox would go since there's a lot of effects like lightning and ambient ships zipping across the sky as seen when you first spawn in that caulked out area. I didn't find any references to an actual texture for the sky though. I don't understand how the skybox room is displayed in the actual level. Is it done by cameras?

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Yes, although I'm really stretching now as I don't quite remember how projected skyboxes work. Cameras are involved though iirc. Basically you set up a skybox with all the stuff you want going on in it, this is then 'projected' using a camera or 'skybox' entity onto your 'sky' brushes. I just can't remember the right mechanism to do that so you'll need to experiment...

Here we go.. try this
http://www.modwiki.net/wiki/How_to_add_a_sky

Offline cuetip

Thanks kat. I'll experiment and report back.