KatsBits Community

<hello guys> Advice on which flavour of Blender

dONKEY · 2 · 8277

Offline dONKEY

• VIP
Hey guys, I trust you are all well.
After a little break from level design I am thinking of a little project for the Maverick contest.
The maps are for Quake 3, but was intending to model a few sections.
My new PC runs Windoze 8, so I was wondering which version of Blender would be best to pick.
I know nothing of Blender since the changed in 2.5, but I can update myself.
I guess the main thing is ase import/export scripts.
I saw there is a script for ase export for one of the 2.5 variations. Does this work in 2.6 do you know?
If I end up with a 2.4 version, does this run in Win 8, and is setting up a python path the same?
Thanks for you help :)

Online kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
The last version of Blender the original version of ASE script was tried on was 2.56 iirc so you may need to do a bit a basic testing if you install 2.67 or so. There is another one available that might be of use  (see here), but again you'll need to do a bit of testing as it was written specifically with UDK/UE in mind (making it much closer to 3DS Max export) - as you know UDK & idTech handle materials and sub-meshes differently, which might not be fully accounted for (this has been the case historically).

If you're familiar with 2.5 generation of Blender and know that that has a working ASE export script relative to what you want, just use that for this project, or at least use it as your 'known' baseline/fallback position if trying the latest version yields incomplete results - the bottom line is that for game related work you've not really gaining anything obvious by using the latest versions of Blender.