KatsBits Community

General WIP

kat · 69 · 106040

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
It's been a long time since I really looked into it but yes, I think it was related to the way Radiant 'pathed' the texture/shaders for the MD3 files, it meant that whilst they worked in-game when you opened them in the editor you'd just get the missing shader black/red checker. The odd thing, iirc, was that not all the models worked correctly when compiled so they must have included a number of broken assets in the editor pack anyway. I'm looking forward to seeing more from this project too.. Lordy knows it's been sat on for long enough! (real life etc.. etc..)

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
understood and i vaguely remember the missing textures now you mention them. odd that they released the sdk in that condition, something i doubt either of us would do without first checking our assets worked with the publicly available editing tools used at the time.

and kat, just keep in mind the old saying 'better late than never' he he  ;)

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Some screenshots from the first level of Generator. 1 level down about 4 or 5 to go. These may be a bit on the dark side due to the way gamma adjusts when the game is running, but the general setting it at night so you can't really go crazy with lighting when outdoors (level is outdoors, eventually leading indoors). Also, there's no terrain blending on this because of the way it was built - alphaMod works but it a bit to time consuming to put into place for a large terrain; this is where being able to do simple vertex blending a-la Doom3 would be sooo very handy...

Reused the 'keep' from Castlekeep

Terrain section

Man-made structures (canal)

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
from what i can see, it looks very atmospheric, also the first image reminds me of quake1, which is cool.

Offline carnage

• Defunct
Wow those screenshots look awesome. Makes me want to dust of the editing tools for rtcw again. Nice work.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Heh, I put the other working editor shots in the wrong topic... oh well.. a couple of in-game shots from level 2 of Generator. Level is built and final rendered, just got to go over the scripting to make sure it's all working correctly. Work on level 3 is well underway.

(screens may be a little dark as they're not gamma adjusted. They're also taken running RtCW in windowed mode as there isn't a 1280x720 setting for full screen)

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
the gamma looks find my end, and i love the lighting and textures. very polished looking.

Offline Shaderman

• Defunct

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Had to do quite a bit of re-engineering to create a workable level from several incomplete maps for number 3. Should have some internal shots soon.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
i enjoy seeing these editor images, makes me look forward to when i can use unity to build maps.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Build done. Scripts next. A couple of in-game shots of the third and final level.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
very nice work.

i'm aware some gamers complain about the brown and grey color palettes, but i personally think they suit the ww2 based games perfectly.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
There's interesting colour theory behind their use those same gamers don't know about ;)

Aside from 'Front' based colour schemes, Olives for European, Khaki's for Desert, the greys, browns and blacks are colours associated with 'calm' and 'order' - black is an 'authority' colour which is why it was used by the SS; the greys and browns are none-threatening which means they don't stir the emotions, totalitarianism makes frequent use of them for that reason, members/follows can be kept subconsciously subservient through colour. On top of this you then have the red of the flag which stands out for a reason of emphasis, the soldiers allegiance is to the 'homeland' as represented by the flag so they (the flags) are given colours which highlight that point of priority visually and psychologically. Aside from that, they are cheap colours to manufacture in war time when resources are differentially prioritised.

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
I'm back from the void. I've been pretty busy with work for these past few months. I still have to finish up those videos I was working on earlier this year but in the meantime, I was playing around with rendering 2D sort-of-isometric sprites in Blender.

Here are a couple gifs of a meteor effect I was trying to achieve -
http://s9.postimg.org/er2s7l0bx/meteor1.gif
http://s18.postimg.org/bxeqxowwn/meteor2.gif

And a sprite rendered out from a box. Was playing with indirect lighting.