KatsBits Community

Blender 2.6 and ase import/export

dONKEY · 5 · 14833

Offline dONKEY

• VIP
Hey guys long time no talk :)
My old Blender 2.44 I think recently went wonky. I'm assuming it was a video driver issue. My click select function no longer selected at the position I was clicking.
I'd made a lot of updates to drivers for Brink and then Rage that I didn't really want to change so I thought it was time to update Blender.
Now before Blender allowed me to have multiple copies. This time it has overwritten my old Blender.
I don't mind learning the new UI and procedures for work I used to know how to do. It all seems a step forward in many ways.
My problem is not being able to find an ase import/export script....or if I have a script that works (which is possible as I've been trying a few), I don't know where to put it and how to access it in blender.
My Blender directory is a bit of a mess as it still has old 2.44 folders in it.
I installed the new python and set the runtime variables, which it seems I didn't need to do.
Any advice on which scripts to use and what to do to get the scripts working?
I have a project in my head that I really can't face creating in GTKr, but without ase support in Blender I'm a bit stuck.
Thanks as always.
A

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Check this topic for the latest ASE exporter - http://www.katsbits.com/smforum/index.php?topic=257.0

Although Python is still needed, depending on what OS you're using you may not need to set-up the old Python Path variable, it seems that 2.6+ uses it's own internal modules for the most part and can find the (installed) Python version without the prompt these days.

General installation and use can be found here - http://www.katsbits.com/smforum/index.php?topic=147.0 - although for the script linked to above you'll need to check their third party page; it should be a simple matter of 'installing' the script from "User Preferences > AddOns > Import-Export"

You shouldn't have any issues using the old 2.44+/- files in 2.60 but any animated object will need to be checked as there was a potential issue with that for 2.5/6 series when importing that data.

By the way *waves*  8)

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
donkey, nice to see your still around and still using blender. when you have some work to show us, please do.

i'm still using 2.49b and i have been enjoying reading through kat's tutorials on various aspects of the new interface introduced in 2.5, although it is a shame they keep changing their minds on where to put buttons and menus these days.

Offline dONKEY

• VIP
Hi to both of you :)
I eventually discovered the exporter was working. It seems odd not having any boxes to tick before export and having no report as to the success of the export.
I've not actually looked at my exported models in game yet. I have no idea if smoothing is correct. I think I remember reading that vertex shading data is not exported with this script. That could be an issue later I think.

Hope to have something to show soon :)

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
donkey, cool and i'm glad you got it working although i'm also surprised to hear the new .ase exporter doesn't have any options? or are they set somewhere else in blender perhaps? what game engine are you working with? the last engine i was exporting to was doom3 but over the last few years i've mainly been just working on building up a library of textures and models for my new project, so haven't yet got to the game testing stage.