KatsBits Community

[RtCW] using "ai_no_sight" clip brush

kat · 4 · 7393

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits

Scenario
Player walks towards a door in a wall behind which three AI are placed, two of which engage in a (player) triggered conversation.

Problem
The door is in a wall to another area but not another room (think walled garden). This means AI can be inadvertently triggered, or trigger early before AI chat occurs. To prevent this early triggering, ai_no_sight clip brush volume can be used to 'block' AI seeing the player when they inside it. However, if ai_no_sight is placed across the entire opening this results in AI not seeing the player even when standing in an open doorway.

Solution
The fix makes use of limited placement of "ai_no_sight" to give the player an avenue to take towards the door which follows a slightly more stealthy approach along another wall, whilst using a func_inv_user targeted at the door allows the player to open the target door without having to stand directly in front of it.

Additional Info
NPC basics in RtCW

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
interesting. do you know if unity has any native ai triggering like this?

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
From what I understand there's only a general collision clip for modelled content etc. (like this for example). So far as I'm aware (I've only ever had a cursory look at other game engines and how they work with respect to NPC's and bots so don't quote me on this), there aren't specific 'clips' for monsters or different classes of NPC. As such one would likely need to coded by tagging an association between an AI class and a given surface characteristic - it's one of the reason bot code is notoriously tricky to get working correctly (relative to the differentiation of class based behavioral characteristics).

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
thanks kat, and i vaguely remember some of the unity video tutorials i watched last year covered a grouping system, similar to the layers in blender. i guess those could be used to make specific ai materials and or volumes?