KatsBits Community

3D Modeling WIP Topic

kat · 270 · 222611

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
thanks kat and yes the diffuse, diffuse detail and normals detail textures are tiled, the baked normals are unique for each mesh and that one there is the size of a large building iirc.

currently the main diffuse texture is 1024x1024 but i'm intending on making a new version soon of a 4096x4096, although i don't know if the idtech4 engines and xreal which dersaidin's team is using will load textures that big?

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
Let's get some new content posted!

Working on the Hellchick 2.0 concept by Paul Richards. Model is intended to be a .md3 for Quake 3.

1.5 hours in:
[dead images]

Untextured and testing to see if it at least imports in to the game properly:
[dead images]

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
You've definately improved your general awareness of shape and form so whatever you're doing keep it up. Couple of points to consider and speaking of which, you don't always need to terminate a boob on a point like that, it's better to avoid doing it because of tri-stripping issues (I know you know about this but for those that don't click here). I know it's still early days yet but keep and eye on the shoulder area and watch your general distribution  - unless you're going to animate the boob for instance, you might be able to loose a few polys there and add them as loops around the legs. *up*

OT: the forum seems a bit iffy with images sometimes so you can use "width=[value]" (e.g. "width=720") to have it resize - "720" is a good one to use as it fits nicely into the post width.

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
Thanks, man :) It's interesting because I *haven't* been doing anything. The last humanoid model I attempted to do was that Toph model which I lost between harddrive switches  :-\

The only thing I did differently was that I started by blocking out the leg first without mirror modifier then duplicated the object and joined them together. From there I worked upwards.

I terminated the breasts on a point like that because I was having a hell of a time with edgeflow around that area. I ended up checking out another low poly mesh that did the same thing and I think it's working well. I couldn't figure out how to get the edges working out the way I wanted with pure quads =\

I just might animate the breasts too ;) Q3 is in need of 'jiggle physics'.

Here's what I've got going on for the shoulder/armpit area:
[dead images]

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
cool, good work so far milk, and interesting article you linked to kat, is that new to katsbits?

milk, i really liked the original concept art from paul richards, do you have a copy or link to the rough drafts where he did lots of variations on hellchick? i used to have a copy but not on this hdd.

a tool i found useful when poly modeling my female character's breasts was to use blender 2.49's mesh menu > transform > to sphere (ctrl shift s) on the edge loops around the nipples etc, as that made them look more rounded, some of yours look a little more angular.

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
Thanks, yeah I only just recently found the guy's artwork  o_o

Here's a link to his concept page - http://www.autodestruct.com/concept.htm

Did a little bit more work today:
[dead images]

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
ty.

kat, would you happen to know of any md3 exporting tutorials out there? All the links I'm finding either are dead or are written for openarena and go along the lines of "oh it's simple. just make the md3 in blender then export" but no actual details on adding tags, splitting the models up in to head, upper body, lower body, and exporting animations.

Hand/Gauntlet work:
[dead images]

[EDIT] removed a number of links to dead images. kat

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Yeah ditto on that. The only thing I can suggest is perhaps looking at MilkShape and/or 3DS Max tutorials and 'translating' them for Blender. I know MS uses *.qc files but I don't know how they relate to Blenders output (I've never seen them produced by any exporter) relative to Q3. When I tested the md3 script I exported bunneh out as a single mesh and loaded that into the JavaMD3 viewer, but it was untextured (like your shot above actually).

Post what links you can find (or what you're looking at) and maybe we can figure out what needs to be done.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
milk, cool and thanks for the link. also interesting to see paul worked on darksiders, which seemed to suit his style very well. i also agree with kat, your model there is evolving nicely.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
This following MD3 EXPORT info is now maintained in a separate topic located here

Try this for exporting. I've had a look at the available info and this is about as close as I can get to a reasonable description based on what I know about exporting to MD3 - it needs to be cross-referenced and checked. (Try tracking down stuff by Paul Jacques or Paul Steed, they should have some valid info on this).

Prepping mesh for MD3
The mesh needs to be composed of three sections each of which needs to be a 'closed' mesh (open surfaces should be 'sealed'?). Name the sections in Object Mode as follows (note that the prefix, "h_", is a subsection reference so anything that should be associated with the "head" section of the mesh should be prefixed with "h_", the torso, "u_" etc..);
  • head - named "h_head" (upper_head)?
  • torso - named "u_torso" (upper_torso)?
  • legs - named "l_legs" (lower_legs)
The "Point of Origin" (the pink dot) for each section needs to be on Blenders "0,0,0" grid so position the cursor there, then reposition the origin to the cursor (make sure to do this before doing ANY animations if the model is rigged).

Prepping armature
When rigging a character, in order for the legs to "run" at the same time as "firing" a weapon, the rig is split into two separate armature objects, and "upper" and "lower" sections. This enables the characters lower half to do something different to the upper half. These are not exported (the rigs that is, as animation is vertex baked). However it does mean that any animation also needs to be 'split' in similar fashion, so a "run" cycle may only have a 'legs' animation, whereas a "death" animation would have both an 'legs' and 'torso' animation sequence. (Note: the origin point of the armature/s will need to be the same "0,0,0" axis centre otherwise you'll get problems - although you can do the above to a rig it's best to centre the cursor beforehand and then build the rig around that anchor point).

Prepping Materials for MD3
Materials will need to be duplicated depending on their assignment - if a character model uses the same texture applied to the entire model, when the mesh is broken into sub-sections, there should be three (or more) separate materials named as follows (this will likely need to be the texture name ID rather than the bitmap image "Source:" or filename);
  • "l_legs" (material for 'lower' mesh section)
  • "u_torso" (material for upper torse section)
  • "h_head" (material for head section)
Materials need to be referenced from the 'root', i.e. "models/players/character" so it's best to work from within that directory (where "models/" would be a root folder on a hard-drive "D:\models\")

MD3 models use "skin" files (*.skn?) which are simple *.txt docs renamed *.skn. They contain text references to textures (are these actually "shader" references?) similat to;
  • "h_head,models/players/character/head.tga"
'Tags'
"Tags" are Blender "Empty" objects and positioned at centre-points where other objects are to be connected to a mesh - they are position markers in other words; "tag_weapon" for instance is where weapon models 'connect' to the mesh when held by the player. Name the Empty in Object Mode, position and parent to an appropriate bone (depending on what's being 'tagged' you want the object to move with an animation);
  • "tag_weapon" would be parented to a bone called 'hand' - weapons models attach to this
  • "tag_torso" would be parented (and positioned) relative to the 'hip' - allows different 'top' sections to be attached to the 'lower' section of the model
  • "tag_head" would be parented and positioned relative to the neck - allows different heads to connect the mesh
  • (note: doesn't appear to be a need for "tag_legs")

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
oh wow thanks that's going to be really helpful.

After reading it I split up my mesh and started working on some UV stuff just to get a sense of how the deformations will look during animation.

Here's what I got in terms of density:
[dead images]

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Try an even them out a bit more. You may also need to increase density on the breasts because *cough* that's where the eyes tend to focus. :o Joking aside... use the Live Unwrap ability in the UV/Image Editor to pin a few vertexes (select, press "P" ["Alt+P" to clear]) and move the UV's around to get a better distribution when unwrapping odd shapes like that, it can be difficult otherwise to get the UVW's to unwrap properly around shapes that protrude and undercut like that.

In effect ideally you want to avoid having too great a difference between sections - you've got a 2:1 ratio in some parts which may look a little odd; if you keep that difference swap them around so the higher/better density is on section that have greater detailing requirements (arms rather than chest/torso).

The info above is missing 'animation' info.. there's likely a file that needs to be written that references each animation sequence so the game know what it should be playing - I don't have a copy of Quake 3 installed so I can't check the file structure, but it shuold be similar to the way MD5 work where we produce the assets and then create a 'def' file to pull it all together.

[edit]you might be able to use the javaMD3Viewer to dissect/test some models and see how they work

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
Hmm. I figured the density on the breasts could be lower because it would be mostly similar colors with the only detail being the nipple to do in the texture.

I see what you're getting at with the varying densities between mesh parts though. I'll have to work on that.

As for that java thing. I've been trying to get it working for about 4 hours now and I've pretty much given up. I extracted the files exactly where the readme says to put them and when I try to run it I get this:

"Sorry, can't find the library: GL4JavaJauGljJNI14
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no GL4JavaJauGljJNI14 in java.library.path"

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Check to see how many versions of Java you have installed.. I had problems getting it to run as well until I copied the files into *every* install... I don't know why Java changed the way they do that - updates don't remove previous installs so you don't know if misc. files are being referenced from the older installs.

PS: I've only have access to Vista and XP so Win7 might be different with respect to Java

[edit] I've got my main java viewer files in a folder - contains the main "md3view.jar" file.
(Animation file needed for the above instructions appears to be called "animation.cfg" - this holds the sequence refs).