KatsBits Community

[MD5] EXPORT script for Blender 2.6x (OPEN)

keless · 228 · 262133

Offline mikshaw

NOTE: the script was loaded via User Preferences which created a scripts/addon folder in the main Windows "User" profile, it seems custom scripts are placed there (need to be?) rather than in with the defaults located in the installation directory.

I haven't done much of anything with 2.6 yet, but this might be related to an issue I was having with installing addons through user preferences.  Since my Blender installation folder is not writable by a normal user, addon installation had to be done manually, either by copying it into the installation folder as root, or by putting it in my personal blender config directory.  Perhaps they changed the process so that a non-administrator could install addons through user preferences, much like the way Firefox installs extensions into the user's directory rather than the installation directory.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
If you're on Windows 7 then yes the UAC permissions causes havoc with user content creators. I've found in the end I had to disable it and I still have issues with certain applications don't save program changes because they're not run with Administrative privileges - it's a royal pain in the potato.

Blender keeps changing how it handles community scripts, it seems they've settled on anything we add to it  being save to the "User" roaming profile on the C:\ drive.

Offline mikshaw

I'm on Linux, and have become accustomed to having no write-access to system files and directories as a normal user.  There are very few Linux applications that are not already built with this in mind, but I could understand there being some trouble in Windows during a transitional period between the "write-anywhere" system they've had in the past to the more secure method of allowing writes only to specific directories.  There seem to be still many Windows software developers who attempt to write to system directories, but I think Blender has the right idea now.  But even then, they've made what I think are unnecessary changes, such as changing from scripts and plugins directories to a single addons directory...not saying the change isn't more logical, but it wasn't needed especially at a time when so much else was changed.

It sounds like your problem with UAC might be a separate issue...having more to do with specific types of files than with directory structure and permissions.   Microsoft might be attempting to push developers into some sort of authorization of file types used by their programs, thinking the majority of end users aren't going to even notice, much less care about, the potential problems it may cause.

Sorry to take this thread off-topic

Offline gavlig

Hey everybody!
I have the same problem ge5 has(or had) and don't know how to deal with it. I've downloaded quake4 map katq4dm1(blender sources), installed export script, selected all meshes, selected "export" and got this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/gavlig/.blender/2.60/scripts/addons/io_export_md5.py", line 849, in execute
    save_md5(settings)
  File "/home/gavlig/.blender/2.60/scripts/addons/io_export_md5.py", line 713, in save_md5
    arm_action = thearmature.animation_data.action
AttributeError: 'int' object has no attribute 'animation_data'

I use archlinux x86_64 and blender r42422(2.60.6)

I see that error occurs because some armature data, but i don't have any. Maybe it's the problem? :)

here some screenshots:

Thanks in advance!

Offline motorsep

You are using wrong exporter. MD5 is for animated with bones models. If you simply trying to export level or a piece of a level, you need to export into ASE. There is another exporter for that.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
You are using wrong exporter. MD5 is for animated with bones models. If you simply trying to export level or a piece of a level, you need to export into ASE. There is another exporter for that.
Or failing that, if you need to export to MD5 and because the error is due to you missing animation data, you'll need to add a simple Armature and Action to the mesh before export. I'd go with what motorsep said though and export to another format that's more appropriate for large static objects like that (ASE, OBJ).

Offline gavlig

Ok, thanks! So, in order to export a map I should use another exporter. Sorry for offtop, but how can i do that? All tutorials I found don't seem to fit my purpose because they all are old(there is no *.map exporter for blender2.6). I want to create a map for idtech4 engine. Could you please give me some advice?

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
If you get stuck making a map, post a separate topic. In the meantime have a look on the tutorials page of the site, for what you're doing everything you need to know is there, including what how to export to ASE, and how you can make a map in Blender (you will need to make sure you're using the correct export script for the version of Blender being used though).

Offline razvanab

I think the exporter is broken for 2.61
even a simple export / animation looks bad...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6s04zc

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Looks like you tried to export a single framed animation, which is generally a no-no. If you add a few frames (make sure your start and end are the same with something changed in between so you can see what's going on), you should be able to get a complete output even untextured or UVW mapped as your test was. If you want a 'static' Object, export at least 2 frames, both being the same, it's the single frame export that messes things up.

Remember to scale your mesh before you add a rig and start animating - relative to what the MD5 format is usually used for your stick exports really small, only about 2 or 3 'game' units (you can use the script to scale but that's not generally advised).

[EDIT] see attached zip

Offline razvanab

I usually do a weekly blender build from svn and it look like that was a problem too...

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Oh right, yes be v. careful about using those when you need to produce something for use 'outside' Blender, if you get a problem revert back to an official build to double check it's not something that's propagated.

Offline renderluz

Hi, first thanks for making the exporter compatible with 2.61, and to the original creators, thanks for making the exporter :D

Now I'm having some issues,
have anyone tried exporting a mode with the new blender 2.62, I'm not been able to do so, I get a exploded model full of skinning errors, could somebody code savy take look and see of there something that needs to be changed for the exporter to work with 2.62?, I works like a charm on 2.61, also since bmesh is coming on blender 2.63 and this will most likely change the mesh API would this means the exporter will need to to be made compatible with this changes as well?
Please make it work with the new versions, there's a ton of really good changes on the UV editor and I really don't want to roll back to 2.61.
Thanks for your time.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
i didn't even know there was a 2.62, which i'll go and dl after this post. looking forward to seeing what improvements they have, and hopefully someone here can help you soon, personally i'm still exporting with .ase