KatsBits Community

Physics, Editing, and Cutting questions (no luck with search fcn)

Offline ACDmvmkr

Hello;

I've got three questions I've built up over time, and the search button doesn't seem to work, it just returns error messages....

1)-  can I deform an object using a physics run in the timeline, and then save the resulting deformed object that results, as a new object? (whenever I select it in the new form afterwards, it always reverts back to it's original form). for example: can I drop a cloth sheet over a spherical object, then after the run, can I save the cloth in it's new shape draped over that object?

2)-  my cloth sometimes imbeds itself on some of my subjects when they are run through a physics action. How do I stop that from happening?

3)-  if I want to cut a slit in the mesh of an object, (for example; a sheet or piece of clothing mesh), how do I do that? I've already discovered the "vertex merge" function, but the closest thing I can find to a cutting tool of some sort is the vertex "RIP" funtion....but that one always seems to cut mesh in the wrong direction....there doesn't seem to be any way of controlling it.....frustrating....

Thanks in advance;
Dave

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
1) You should be able to yes. I've only ever done this with an Armature rigged mesh but there is a Modifier(?) which allows you to 'make real' the pose mesh is in when the function is used. I'm not entirely sure how deformations are made real when there isn't an underlying Armature structure present though.

2) That's actually a very tricky problem to solve because it happens as a result of the material properties assigned to the objects that are colliding. The trouble is that you could set 'stiffen' the material but that might not provide the desired effect needed. So.. an alternative (but perhaps messy way) would be to create a separate (invisible/transparent/alpha'd) collision hull around one of the objects which is a unit or two above the underlying surface; this becomes the main object other items collide with so if any intersection happens the distance between the hull and the actual surface underneath is enough to 'absorb' or compensate for the problem.

3) The closest function to what you appear to need there is the Knife tool. In Edit mode, press "K" to activate the tool, LMB to place your cuts then "Enter" to confirm.

Off Topic: what errors did the search function return? I tried it earlier and it worked fine.