KatsBits Community

[blender][idtech4]creating a map

gavlig · 9 · 12596

Offline gavlig

Hello everyone!

John Carmack opened the source of idtech4 and inspired me on a big napoleonic plan - to create my own idtech4 based game :) I know about the amount of work and level of skills it consumes but nevertheless I will try to do it. At first i wanted to start with map to get something to work with and to "get the feel of engine"(may sound silly :)). So, i have a blender, doom3 content, darkradiant and compiled idtech4 which can run doom3. After watching a lot of tutorials(kat's tutorials also, ofcourse :)) i haven't found a solid solution on how to create a map in blender and export it to idtech4 so I'm asking for help about it.
this tut is fine but there is no .map exporter for blender 2.6. Using older blender is not a problem for me but i couldn't find an old exporter script neither(i think it's not supported anymore).

I'll be glad to "hear" any advice :)
cheers

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
The *.map exporter is an AddOn, you have to activate it  ;)

So.. making a map using Blender. The best way to do this is going to be to split the construction of the map itself into three 'categories' or type of mesh Object as this helps you organise your thoughts and the process as you work and all of which can be made in Blender with varying degrees of fiddling.
  • Detail brushes - what the players generally see inside the level
  • Structural Objects - caulk hulls and material not generally seen by the player
  • Models
Although Quake 4 et-al don't use "Detail" flagged brush volumes, you still build fiddly objects from collections of brushwork. If these type of items are placed in a separate layer you can better export and manage the scene. Same is true of your "Structural" objects. Again Q4 doesn't make the distinction between the surface types, but for you working in Blender it helps to place these 'block-out' objects on their own layer as well. Same goes for models.

As the tutorial linked to above mentions, you need to figure out before hand how you want to manage smaller objects, if they are to be models you'll need to export them to ASE (or MD5 if they move) as well as determining if you want to export a large object with everything in place, or single models which you have to place in Radiant - both have 'pros and cons'.

With regards to the map itself... if you're going to export the visible structure as a model then you'll need to make a caulk-hull to contain it, and that also means you need to consider 'optimising' the mesh by cutting it up into segments to reduce overdraw and other related issues.

Your primary concern will be to try and plan as much of your project before-hand, it'll save you a lot of time and frustration. The above will get you started. Everything you need to know is on the site but it's not necessarily in one convenient location because of the way the site has grown over time so you'll need to do a bit of digging around. Hope that helps (good luck and welcome by the way).

Offline gavlig

Wow, the answer was so close... awkward. Thank you, Kat, next time i'll try to avoid stupid questions and google more :) *went away to do some planning  8)

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
You might also find it helpful to do some basic design tests in Blender before you go full-throttle on building so you get an idea on what to expect when you start building proper. The process can be quite fiddly when you have to make everything in Blender.

Offline gavlig

Hello, it's me again with my ridiculous problem.

Tried to do this tutorial and got an error on exporting.

the error is about twosided texture face but i have no clue where to turn them off.

here is the .blend file -> map_tutorial.blend.html

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
[EDIT] scratch the below.. something is a little odd here.. taking a look now.

Looks like you're using a development release of Blender, "2.60.7"? If the script isn't working then it means they've broken it again in the latest dev version so you'll need to drop back to "2.60a" to do this (script works in that version as it was something I bug tracked and got them to fix). Go ahead and just install another instance of Blender and use that (you can install multiple instances so long as you create a different directory for each, I've got 2.45, 2.49 and a couple of other versions installed like that for just this reason).

Offline gavlig

[EDIT] scratch the below.. something is a little odd here.. taking a look now.

Looks like you're using a development release of Blender, "2.60.7"? If the script isn't working then it means they've broken it again in the latest dev version so you'll need to drop back to "2.60a" to do this (script works in that version as it was something I bug tracked and got them to fix). Go ahead and just install another instance of Blender and use that (you can install multiple instances so long as you create a different directory for each, I've got 2.45, 2.49 and a couple of other versions installed like that for just this reason).

Ok :)

I know about the development version because i installed it on purpose(nothing special, just curious about new stuff) :) Maybe it's something in .blend file but i've just noticed that script doesn't work on your q4 map(kqtq4dm1). Maybe you're right about "bleeding edge" version.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
It's the center section of the arch, you forgot to close the inner face, close (fill) that and the entire mesh exports correctly.

Tip: when problems like this happen, 'region' the level and export sections to try and track down where the error is, if you keep doing this you'll eventually find the problem - at face value it looks like the entire map is an issue when it's just a single face missing from one object.

Offline gavlig

ok, thank you very much! And your tip about regioning the section of level is similar to the way of finding bugs in the code :) One just should be smart enough to use this method not only for programming(not me obviously).