General Category > Public Discussion

free or open source windows image editors?

(1/3) > >>

ratty redemption:
hi guys,

i've been trying out gimp for the first time this week and although it seems powerful i really don't like all the windows it keeps opening and or resizing, so today i googled gimpshop which is apparently designed to look more like phopshop, but that gimp mod isn't being developed anymore.

are there any free or gpl windows image editors that are still in development that you guys would recommend?

kat:
Yeah GIMP is pretty much the only real alternative without shelling out for an application. I don't really use the app so it's somewhat surprising to see you can't 'truly' dock the panels (you can make it *look* like they're docked by going full screen with the image window and setting the docks to be "on top" all the time).

Photoshop has such market dominance that nothing can compete with it really; I'm using CorelDraw graphics suite and powerful as that is, there are very few plug-ins and addons for it (it used to be able to load PS tools but they stopped for some reason). It suffers the same "it's not photoshop" stigma.

ratty redemption:
thanks kat, and i didn't know about the fullscreen mode, i'll try that out.

my biggest issue with gimp so far is every time i load in a new image after the app has been run, it creates a new image window, but doesn't seem to remember the size and position of the default image window seen at startup, so it quickly clutters up my desktop. i admit i'm ocd about this kind of thing, but i like windows and apps to stay where i place them.

also when the image window resizes itself it often results in part of the image being behind the toolbox and layers windows, which means i can't see or work on them without resizing every image window. very frustrating, but on the plus side it does have some very cool tools from the Little i've experimented with it.

kat:
Check the apps preferences, there are a couple of settings relating to remembering window positions, sounds like you might have that disabled/inactive.

ratty redemption:
thanks kat and i've tried all the preference options i can find, at least it does start up looking the same now, but it has one called 'initial zoom ratio' which i have set to 'fit to window' although that only appears to work for images loaded from the recent or open menus, not images that are pasted from the clipboard.

as it is i can't work with it since i'm wasting too much time resizing and positioning windows. shame because i like it's tool set.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version