KatsBits Community

3D Modeling WIP Topic

kat · 270 · 222201

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
@asaesis, cool and which animation type are you using for your project? ...in blender we can render previews of just the bones without the mesh being visible, so we can clearly see the rigs. can your modeling app do that? ...and when you capture animations, if you can, please include the whole sequence. it's easier for us to imagine how the results will be used. plus it's smoother to watch if there aren't jump cuts. anyway, keep up the good work.

@kat, re: the hud, understood. and that bench animation is very cool, even if it's not physically accurate. i also liked how you showcased the scene from different angles. did you need more than just the start and end position keyframes? ...i like how the pieces rotate into place.

Online kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Was looking through some old files and came across a mod project that never made it. Was going to be a medieval roaming game but the engines terrain capabilities made that a big challenge (which was a contributing factor to the eventual math-balling IIRC). Shown is a library where the player was to be able to read up on stuff to do with the game (finding out how to kill certain monster - specific items had to be collected to use as weapon, could be organic materials or special sword).

Offline Asaeis Wi Vio

@asaesis, cool and which animation type are you using for your project? ...in blender we can render previews of just the bones without the mesh being visible, so we can clearly see the rigs. can your modeling app do that? ...and when you capture animations, if you can, please include the whole sequence. it's easier for us to imagine how the results will be used. plus it's smoother to watch if there aren't jump cuts. anyway, keep up the good work.

Hi Ratty,

We're using skeletal animations (.psk + .psa) for our character animations for this project :P

I'm using Blender to create said animations as shown earlier, also for now I'll probably have to pass on the offer of capturing the whole animation, I currently do not know how to record animation sequences and such in Blender; that previous .gif that I showcased before was created from sequencing seperate shots taken in Blender using Gimp, and took a ****-long time to put together :P , I assume there's a way to directly record a video from Blender, but I so far haven't gotten into that :).

Also, thanks mate.

Online kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Just a bit of Off Topic fun from doing normal content stuff. Live 3D View rendered (which nearly cripples the machine being used). A sphere with random extudes and manipulation, material based displacement assigned until something visually interesting happens (should be tinted slightly bluer than might appear - damn colour calibration is off between the two monitors being used.. grrr).

Offline Asaeis Wi Vio

Cool. o.o

As for me, I've been continuing to make more progress on my project.

As mentioned in the other thread, I've decided to go from using brushes/BSP for my landscapes and other organic geometry, to models (or more like static meshes)

Here is an assortment of rocks which are used in the screenshot above (some of, anyway) as seen in Blender.

This is all still entirely a work in progress, a friend of mine who obtained the source code for the Unreal engine from Epic and actively updates it is giving us some support too, and is making some critical additions and adjustments to the engine in order to get things working as they should. Something which can be seen in that first screenshot which will be changed is the noticable overbright cap (which is currently at a factor of 1.00 for models by default in the Unreal engine), by adding scaleable overbright on a per actor basis.

And here is a test map which features some experimental grass (& some rocks). Eventually the grass will animate depending on the direction of the wind. The animations exist, but we just need to figure out how wind is going to occur and work.

Online kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Nice bleached lighting in the first shot. If the engine can utilise vertex colours it might be worth painting the bottom verts of the grass sprites dark(er) green so they're artificially shaded towards the ground - always a tricky problem to compensate for.

Offline Asaeis Wi Vio

Thanks Kat, though the bleached lighting is kindof unintentional. My friend who works on the 227 patch (the latest update for the first Unreal) is in the middle of getting full per fragment, per pixel hardware lighting working with his latest renderer (being developed alongside the patch) which will also feature better gamma handling, shader support and overbright among other things.

Currently Unreal still mostly renders everything from the CPU rather than the GPU (well, the GPU simply does some 'polishing up' to the final result), which was really the only thing in the way from implementing shader support, overbright, hardware lighting or better gamma handling before.

Otherwise, I've been working on alot of assets since I last posted, mostly originating from high poly models (which normal maps and other such maps will inherit their details from for the lowpoly/ingame models).

Here are some of those assets, overall they're still WIPs :

(Keycard reader for the door shown above)

(WIP domestic android)

(Back of the android's head)

I'll cap the WIP images at that for now, there are probably more but I'm not sure it's alright for me to post too many! D:

Thanks for your help with things though Kat, since I've often found alot of your tutorials/guidance helpful.

Online kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
The bark texture is pretty interesting. Still impressive collection overall considering the old tech (Unreal 1) being used!. And yup, creating the high-poly assets for baking is super time consuming!.

Re: images. The number of images posted isn't as much of an issue as the format and resulting file size, remember that a lot of users view forums on mobile/cellular devices so this current batch all being PNG rather than JPG would mean using 20MB+ of data to view them when they could all be loaded in 1 or 2 with little dramatic reduction in quality.

Offline Asaeis Wi Vio

Chers Kat :P

And sorry for the image format thing again, hopefully I'll remember to share it as a .jpg next time I share something. D:

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
here's some 3d fan art images i made in blender of miikun from cyborg kuro chan.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
this is miikun rendered in the godot game engine.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
this is wip of my own robot cat character from a physics puzzle game i'm working on. his name is cratom. he's inspired by the fallout games and miikun. he's also modeled in blender.

Online kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
cratom and some pottery items i made in blender, rendered in the godot game engine.