KatsBits Community

iPod Touch/iTunes won't sync my games

kat · 1 · 12044

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Question: Why won't my iPod Touch sync my games or even recognise my iPod is plugged in?

Problem Description: Assuming there aren't other issues causing this (bad cables, loose connections etc.), iTunes just stops recognising or seeing an iPod Touch even though it's properly connected via USB. Problem occurs regardless of iTunes version, or whether being used on a Mac or PC, preventing games or other Apps from being sync'd between the two. Commonly, this seems to "just happen, one day it worked, next day it doesn't".

Problem Fix: The problem itself appears to be an Apple Mobile Device driver issue (failure) that happens as a result of repeatedly unplugging/plugging in the iPod Touch without using iTunes own "Eject" feature. Do this enough times (un/plug the device) and the problem will occur.

Fix check list
  • Check cables and connections. Check also there aren't other obvious computer or power related issues. Also check to make sure the games or media aren't corrupted in some way (check by opening media in iTunes).
  • Uninstall the Apple Mobile Device Support application from Control Panel. Shut-down and restart the PC. Plug in the device. The driver should reinstall itself.
  • If that doesn't work, uninstall iTunes. Reboot. Re-install iTunes (re-download the application where necessary). (Reboot) plug in the device.
  • If none of the above works uninstall everything to do with Apple - iTunes, Quicktime, Apple Application Support, Apple Software Update, Bonjour, Apple Mobile Device Support (and Safari). Shut down the PC. Restart. Re-install iTunes (reboot may be required). Plug in the device, which should now appear in the "Devices" list.
  • Check the device on another PC. If on booting the computer the iPod activates it means the system can see the hardware. This then indicates a software issue on the original PC.
  • If that doesn't work the iPod Touch may be malfunctioning so should be checked out at a local Apple Store