KatsBits Community

General WIP

kat · 69 · 106107

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
It's alive!!

The meteors look interesting but the effect does look a bit like a bad render at that larger size.. does it look better rendered to a smaller size? For the cube, did you mean using the "Emit" material settings? I've always been puzzled why it's called "Indirect Lighting" when all you're actually doing is using an object, via materials, into a light volume instead of a Lamp object! :D

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
The cropped render (I'm assuming that's the one you mean is the larger render) is my least favorite. That was using a vector blur node prior to scaling and pixelating. I liked the more stylized non-blurred version more but I'm having a hell of a time recreating it again.

For the cube, only the magenta on the right is an emitter. The red on the left and green on top do not emit light but their material color carries over to the material for the cube body. There is a strong light shining down onto the cube from the upper left which bounces on the materials to carry their color around.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Ah, that explains the difference between the areas.

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
Yep. The diffuse color on both the left and right 'reds' are actually the same color. I was mostly playing around to see what kind of effects I could get with lighting the sprites with emitters for things such as tavern facades with lanterns hanging out front or something like that.

I rendered out my Unity character in 'sprite' form and the results are... terrible, to say the least. This could be because I rendered out all keyframe + the interpolated frames of the walk cycle rather than just rendering the few main keyframes (like a normal sprite would be animated). I'll have to play around with it some more I think.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Ah yes, think Doom - a single sheet dedicated to some pretty complex animation sequences typically only has maybe 4 or so images per sequence + the rotations - not many frames per individual action but with x4 for each main pose it adds up.

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
Playing with Freestyle to add outline strokes to the border of the sprite and inner highlight strokes.

Offline Asaeis Wi Vio

Heya,

Myself and some others are working on a project for Unreal which is firmly kept secret from the immediate Unreal community until launch, I'll share some screenshots if there is any interest:

Texture for a space backdrop (Panoramic)

This is some stuff we've been working on so far. :)

[EDIT] reduced the number of images, you don't need to post quite that many! Also the editor shots were several megabytes each so removed. Consider using smaller sizes and linking to full-res instead. kat

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Pretty decent considering the old Unreal Tech being used.

P.S. see edit note at bottom of your post! Also this ;o)

Offline Asaeis Wi Vio

Thanks mate :)

Apologies for the lack of resizing the images :(

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
No worries, you won't be harassed off the Internet for it ;)

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
looks very atmospheric, and nice textures. i'd like to more over time.

Offline Asaeis Wi Vio

looks very atmospheric, and nice textures. i'd like to more over time.

Thank you :)

Some more WIPs:

(Utility transport craft model by Steve "Hybrid" Donaldson)

Hope I haven't posted too many images for this topic already, I should probably double check the posting regulations and see if i need to edit anything.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
You're OK on the number of images, file size is pretty big though because you're using PNG - ideally you aught be saving your screenshots as JPG or uploading jpg to imgur (or using jpg link option if that's provided).

The rooms look like they're for meetings? Great Halls, that kind of thing? If they are you might want to consider adding a bit more visual interest so they don't look quite as big and empty as they currently do (assuming there isn't more work being done on them) - large hanging flags and insignia, big portraits, standing lights, statues, things of that nature, the big window could even be stained glass like a cathedral or similar rather than just a hole in the wall (maybe a scene from a great space battle of something). The front of the ship intake could be a grill of some kind, just to add a bit of variety. Look pretty decent overall considering its Unreal Engine (UE1).

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
Thank you :)

you're welcome and i agree with kat's suggestions. keep up the good work.

incidentally, i'm looking forward to getting back into level design modeled in blender in the future, when i'm got enough of the code written for my unity game. and i'll be posting screencaps of my models here on katsbits as well as on deviantart. the latter is another good place for storing large images which can be linked to.

Offline Asaeis Wi Vio

Heya,

@Kat

Thanks, basically that chamber is the lobby which leads to a survival course (sortof like a tutorial for the human class). It's currently a WIP, I was planning to add much more to this room like holographic bulletin boards, lobby seats, an information desk under the teal/light greenish light with an automated droid and more features which are necessary for a space station (like emergency airlock/bulkhead switches and panic alarms).

As for the ship, it's mostly unskinned as well, it's currently a work in progress.

@ratty_redemption

"incidentally, i'm looking forward to getting back into level design modeled in blender in the future, when i'm got enough of the code written for my unity game. and i'll be posting screencaps of my models here on katsbits as well as on deviantart. the latter is another good place for storing large images which can be linked to."

Cool.

I had a deviantart account quite some years ago, although i guess i could either revive the account or make another + store images there. Didn't actually think of that, thanks for the suggestion. :)