KatsBits Community

Mirroring a Weight Paint?

Offline ACDmvmkr

I have been rigging a mesh subject with a control armature.

I have applied weight painted bone influences to this mesh, but now want to transfer this exact weight paint "map" over to the other side of my mesh (like left arm to right arm type situation, etc). Is there a way to copy the weight paint influence from one side and bones of a mesh to the other and mirror it? I've put so much work into the one side I can't go throught it again for the other.... (this is not a situation where I can just
cut my model in half and mirror & reweld the copys).

BTW, I have found that in some situations if I had Mirrored weight paint on as I was doing the original, I could copy that, rename it to the opposing bone, and then edit the two, erasing the other half, but I can't use that technique here.

It will be a HUGE job reproducing this map on the other side's limbs if I can't. Is there a way?

Weight paint mirror searches net me no results.

Thanks,

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
You're using 2.49 right? Try the "Mirror" modifier and activate "Mirror VGroups". That mirrors and changes the names of any vertex-groups assigned to the mesh appropriately. There's a caveat though, you need to use a 'proper' naming convention for it to work - naming your vertex-groups "lftArm", "lftShoulder" won't work, they typically have to be "Arm.L" and "Shoulder.L". You may need to fiddle with it a bit as I can't remember if the named groups need to pre-exist (already present on the mesh) or whether the modifier creates them on the fly.

Offline ACDmvmkr

Does this mirror ALL vertex groups on the mesh or just the one I specify? I have
many on there that I can't have mirrored over as they will step on others I've created.

(And I can't seem to find the way to specify the one I want mirrored over.)

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
The Mirror modifier (as with most things in Blender) is selection based; the effect or function only applies to the actively selected object (the one highlighted a brighter colour than others in a group). If you want to use it on a number of Objects it has to be assigned individually. RMB select an object as you would normally then assigned the modifier.