KatsBits Community

idtech reserved for Bethesda products

kat · 3 · 7332

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Looks like id are changing stance on the way their technology is going to be licensed in future, it's pretty much reserved for use within the stable of Bethesda/Zenimax published games. Todd Hollenshead was reported by EuroGamer as saying that it might still be possible to license but that wouldn't automatically mean you got everything ("full disclosure" as Todd put it). So this is probably then end of third party title development, unless they're being published by Beth/Zeni. Not sure what this would mean, if anything, to modding their games though.

So whose doing what at the moment?

Rage = id internal, pub by Beth/Zen
Doom 4 = id internal, pub by Beth/Zen(?)
Brink = SD, pub by Beth/Zen

Console ports?

Offline carnage

• Defunct
In a talk long ago didn't Carmack say something about id tech 5 working cross platforms, so ports might to be such a huge issue.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Yes, I vaguely remember that. I wonder though, would this mean that console ports of id's properties would be done internally or not? I'm not sure how the licensing works on ports done by third parties; I would have thought it wouldn't matter... but then they are tooling around with proprietary technology even though they're just 'porting over'. ???