KatsBits Community

Keyboards and clammy hands

kat · 2 · 7800

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits

Xenta KB-6106 Standard Keyboard (iPod says "blehuurry")

Had to replace a couple of keyboards this week which got me thinking on how little time we spend considering the quality, and consequence therein, of using "good enough" devices to interact with our machines on a daily basis and more to the point, over long time frames (years). For instance, one reason carpel-tunnel is now an ever present problem for computer users relates to the way 'poor' mouse design tends to flatten, and in doing so, tension the hand; the flatter the mouse, the more acute the problem.

The surface over which a mouse is used can also be problematic. The ignoble mouse mat (mouse pad) and its surface covering can cause the hand to slide or glide too quickly, stick or resist too much, or plain ol' make for clammy hands because a hot Summers day perspiration has nowhere to go, all of which can increase the amount of tension required to manipulate a mouse from the little finger all the way up the arm and on to the upper back muscles. Over time this can have a detrimental affect on posture. From a mouse mat!

So, next time peripherals need to be replaced give more than a cursory thought to purchasing something conformable; if "good enough so it'll do for now" is all that can be afforded, be sure to upgrade to "much better" as soon as possible because, over time especially, the devices we use can have a detrimental affect on our physiology that can't be undone pressing Ctrl+Shift+Z.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
for most of this year i was working (unpaid) over 80 hours a week, mainly using blender, but also doing my share of daily chores in our flat/apartment. the latter might not be classed as work per se, but i noticed i was finding a lot more aches in my fingers and hands than previously in my life.

one of the reasons for this, other than not resting my hands enough in any given day, was my mouse just didn't seem to help with the rsi (repetitive strain injury) then my old died and i started sharing my flatmate's laptop, and using a wrist support that sits in front of the keyboard and touch pad.

a couple of months later, and i've noticed a significant decrease in my rsi type symptoms. i'm also taking more frequent, although short, breaks away from the computer.

interestingly that you mention the low profile mouses being more problematic, since a touch pad is flat, but i find my fingers seem to rest in a more natural (slightly curled) posture, when typing or using blender. i also regularly switch from using my right hand to left hand to control the mouse pointer and buttons, something i couldn't do with a conventional mouse.

anyone in teenage years or even 20's might be thinking this isn't something to be concerned about until you become much older, but it is never too early to start using more ergonomically comfortable equipment.