KatsBits Community

Help - Weight Paint Display has stopped working.

Offline ACDmvmkr

Hello;

I've been rigging a human model in Blender 2.49b to an armature. At first it was working - I was assigning bone influences by using bone heat and weight paint. But now I can't use the weight paint anymore because it stopped showing the colors on the mesh I'm trying to paint....everything just shows as black, and it's like I'm guessing and having to feel my way around in the dark. It has completely stopped my progress.

I have pictures below....
What is wrong and how to I fix it?

Thanks in advance;
Dave

As you can see from the images below, the whole thing just shows black, where it used to show the blue, cyan, green, yellow, and red colors of the bone heat influences. The influences are still there, and if I swipe it with the brush, it does apply and remove influence, but I just can't tell where anymore because the color display has dissappeared.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Try this... select the mesh and press "V" to enter "Vertex Paint" mode (this is not the same as weight paint mode). In Edit buttons a new panel will appear, "Paint". Set the "R", "G", and "B" sliders to "1.000" (White) and then click the "SetVCol" button. The mesh should change back to the way it was. Sometimes the mesh goes black that when a Vertex Colour channel hasn't been set on the mesh - it does happen for other reasons but try the above first.

Offline ACDmvmkr

Thank You.

All those settings you mentioned were fine.

Stupid mistake of mine I didn't know about (or learn until then) -

When weight painting, always set your viewport shading to SHADING & not SOLID, otherwise with the Mask disabled, the colors won't show. I recently started modeling mostly in SOLID mode, & thus lost my colors when I switched to Wt Painting, a distinction I didn't know about before. SHADING & TEXTURE modes always allow you to see your work in Wt Paint mode.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
You should be able to see your weight-paint colours (values) in any of "Textured", "Shaded" or "Solid". Are you saying this isn't the case and you can only see them in "Solid" Viewport Shading mode?

Offline ACDmvmkr

With the mask enabled, I can see the colors in all 3, but with it turned off, SOLID Mode goes black in Wt Paint, whereas the other two still show colors. (I'm using Blender 249b)

I only became aware of, and started using the mask, after I made the error and wondered where my colors went. Sorry for the bad question.