KatsBits Community

3D Modeling WIP Topic

kat · 270 · 222194

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
Sounds like we need some kind of "mesh paint" tool for Blender. Have a target mesh and a "stamp" mesh and paint the stamp mesh on to the target mesh. Something similar to the alpha brushes in Zbrush perhaps. But on a bigger scale since we'd actually be placing a mesh on to another mesh and the faces on point of addition would have to tesselate correctly.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
I did think of using 'dupliverts' but to get the best out of that I'd probably need to 'path' the duplicated models so they follow a route. Being able to 'paint' meshes might be the most straightforward - load up an "OB:" as your 'brush' and paint along a surface.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
for the first time since my hdd died last week, I've been able to get on with my blender work. these images show the 3rd cliff section (in blue)

tomorrow I hope to get the uv's and baking done.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Starting to shape up quite nicely now.

I have to say though that you've really got to work on your production speed as I think you're getting trapped in the exercise of the technique rather than actually producing the assets you need to be doing, the longer you take to make something the more delays it introduces into the development chain of the entire project, level designers waiting for assets and such like. I think I said at the time when you started using this shrink-map process that you'd have to weigh up the time it takes vs the output you create, granted we've got Real LifeTM to work around but you've got to increase your output whilst keep the quality in place, certainly if you're wanting to work on third party projects.

[edit]this is what I'm working on atm, an animation test for Frenzoo - a bunny doing a zombie/monster walk... they've got 'object' based animation implimented so I was testing to see if you could combine both Armature and Object animations together; atm it looks like some code tweaks to Frenzoo are needed because the file exports what looks like the right type of data but it doesn't do anything.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
@ kat, totally agreed and now that I know what I'm doing with this workflow, I could in theory of produced the 3 cliff sections in a week, maybe two at most, while working around other things including real life. but this year so far has been hell irl (no pun intended) at times, and I've hardly done any blender work to the point I considered resigning from dersaidin's team because I didn't want to hold up those guys. thankfully, my pc is working again (although the sound chip got blown in the power surge last week) and other real life things are settling down. I'm also finally moving next week so there have been lots to organise.

regarding your work there, very cool and I like the zombie walk cycle :)

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
I think I've finally finished the meshes, uv's and baking for these 3 cliff sections. only thing left to do that I can think of is rename some of the assets, clean out the .blend file of data it doesn't need and send the results to dersaidin. I'll try to do that tomorrow, if I find time.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Looks good Ratty.. I don't think there's really much else you could do to this that wouldn't/shouldn't be done in the level editing tools now.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
A couple of old lamp post models I had kicking around that I've AO'd and updated. Got a few other 'utility assets to sort out and then make available in a little download pack.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
looks good kat, and I liked your recent tutorial on ao.

Offline dersaidin

Seeing this thread again reminded me, some pics of Ratty's cliffs in-game:
http://www.dersaidin.net/weaver/screenshots/cliffs1.jpg
http://www.dersaidin.net/weaver/screenshots/cliffs2.jpg

The cliffs look great in-game, although xreal doesn't support all the material details Ratty provided.

Different parts of the map are at various stages of completeness.
Some other indoor screenshots here

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
dersaidin, cool and your team are doing some excellent work there, please keep us updated :)

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Continuation of these assets. The floors of these pieces took the best part of the entire week to get right, not the stone texture but the ambient shadows. The problem I had was that baking proper AO meant the shadowing wouldn't tile and couldn't be forced to. So in order to get the 'cross-section' to work correctly (so you can butt a left/right or north/south up to it) I had to manually make paint the shadows that were copy/pasted into position correctly so the tiling worked north/south, east/west. Probably one of the most confusing things I've done recently, despite it being such a simply set of objects!

Finished results

The tile sections on the texture itself (512x512 segments of a 1024x1024)

UVW map section of the north/south tile

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
interesting and good results kat, even if they were problematic to develop.