KatsBits Community

[MD5] EXPORT script for Blender 2.6x (OPEN)

keless · 228 · 262503

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
...I get a exploded model full of skinning errors...
Yes, I just checked, bone position data is not being exported correctly, it looks like it's resetting to locations to "0" - I couldn't even get the files to open in the MD5Viewer as it crashes when it gets this sort of corrupted input. So far as I can tell, all the mesh data is OK, it's just the bones/rig that are broken.

Offline renderluz

Hi Kat, I'm glad you where able to reproduce my findings, can you fix this? 
and if you can't, can somebody here make it compatible with 2.62?
the exporter worked like a dream on previous versions, please
can somebody update it? pretty please with a cherry on top.

redemption: Yeah but .ase is just for static models, I need to export skeletal models.
do take a look man there has been a lot of improvements as of late, and bmesh will be
merged for the next version, things are moving forward fast this days :)

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
renderluz, kat and i aren't really coders, but there are a few guys that do visit or hang out here who might be able to update the exporter. and thanks for the recommendation, i only recently made the huge jump from 2.49b to the 2.6 builds and although i've found a few annoying bugs, over all i do prefer the latest blenders over the 2.4x builds.

sorry, i previously didn't make myself clear with my not very helpful comment about .ase, i'm behind times when it comes to exporting into game engines, although i used to make some abstract art animations and render them in blender years ago. i would eventually like to learn how to import and export rigged characters for games, as opposed to just working with static models, which is the reason for me still using .ase

Offline thurok

• Defunct
Hi everyone!

I also have problems with Blender 2.62 and the md5 exporter. I'm making a game in which I want to use this model: http://thefree3dmodels.com/stuff/characters/human_knight/14-1-0-1589.

I have added a simple skeletal animation and I wanted to export it to load it later in the C++ OpenGL game. I have no md5 loader yet, I have just used (and will adapt if I get my purposes) sample 2 from http://tfc.duke.free.fr/coding/md5-specs-en.html to load the exported md5 files. Here is my simple animation in Blender: http://obj.sytes.net/downloads/humanknightAnimated.blend

When I load the md5 into the md5 loader sample, the mesh seems to be not correctly loaded neither the animation. Don't know which is the problem.  I'm programmer but I'm just learning 3D, so I could try to update the exporter if I knew which is the problem and how works the exporter and Blender.

Thanks for all and sorry for my English!

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
The scripts don't work with 2.62 at present so your animations are going to be messing up due to changes inside Blender that's causing the bone rotations/positions differences on export. You'll need to go back to 2.61 for now until the scripts are fixed (I don't know when that might be).

Offline xt_hydra

ive been trying to make the exporter work.. like for example that i dont select anything within my scene it start saying no armature so i select it.. then it say no mesh then i select it then after it say no material.. but where the hell do i need to click to get the material??? well at least from my experience with blender theres no such way to select it within the scene manager from top right default interface.. so.. whats up guys.. im using linux 64 bit on linux mint AKA ubuntu oneric

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
What version of Blender are you using? I've not had a chance to test any of the scripts with 2.63 so that may be an issue.

But to address your problem, you need to select the objects to be exported, mesh first then Armature last (the Armature needs to be the lighter colour indicating it's the 'active' object). The Object must have a material, texture and UVW map, you can't export an 'empty' mesh. Read the "how to export MD5" for some basic info, essentially though the model needs to be properly prepped.

Offline ge5

I am using the 'official' 2.61 build of Blender and followed all your instructions on these threads re .MD5 with the proper exporter, proper 'prepping',etc. --PLEASE see URL below-- i need a 'still' model for use with a kinect camera,actionscript, etc. i have narrowed down the problem to this: the model only loads correctly if both the mesh + the anim files are loaded. unfortunately, all the code i am using calls for just the mesh file, and it loads in totally distorted! (see the accompanying pix/the super skinny figure is the INCORRECT mesh only)--any ideas or tips or suggestions? i've been messing with this for days...thanks
http://geraldineerman.com/md5.jpg

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
I don't think you can use MD5 like, you need both the md5mesh and md5anim for it to work otherwise you might as well be using an OBJ. The md5anim file 'locks' the mesh structure to a pose so without one it does what yours is doing (as there's nothing to bind the mesh relative to the default idle pose). You need to export out an idle pose (single frame) which should then allow you to do that you need.

Offline nemyax

I don't think you can use MD5 like, you need both the md5mesh and md5anim for it to work
Barring bugs, an MD5 mesh should look fine on its own. However, an MD5 animation can sometimes look right despite a screwed-up underlying mesh. I saw this happen when writing an exporter.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
That's what I couldn't figure out, md5meshes load into the MD5 viewer without issue (using a 'bindpose' of sorts), so any deviation from that means something else is causing the problem - most of the issues I've encountered usually result from a missing or 'broken' md5anim because both were being used.

P.S. for clarity I should have said "*may* need to".

Offline robertzoone

Hello

I have a problem when try to export MD5 on Blender 2.62

System: Mac OSX 10.7
My Blender version is: 2.62
MD5 export from here: For Blender 2.57 (OK for 2.60, 2.61, 2.62) http://www.katsbits.com/smforum/index.php?topic=167.0

For export first I type A for select Mesh and go to export. Configuration is: scale 1.0
Exports: Mesh only

And I got this error:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

For example I download Blender 2.63 and new export module.
When I want something to export and save the file, nothing happens. File can not be save or not showing any error.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Yes that happens when you try to export an MD5 that doesn't have an Armature and/or animation, even if you only want the *.m5dmesh (using the exporter you linked to that is).

To 'fix' the issue you'll need to add a basic (one or two bones) Armature to the scene and give it a one frame Action. Once you do that select the mesh first, the armature last and then export - select "Mesh Only" from the export options bottom-left.

PS. I merged your topic into the main thread to keep all the MD5 troubleshooting in the one place.

Offline nemyax

For example I download Blender 2.63 and new export module.
When I want something to export and save the file, nothing happens. File can not be save or not showing any error.
Do you mean this exporter?
http://www.katsbits.com/smforum/index.php?topic=404.0
There's a readme file in the .zip that explains how to use the export.

Offline motorsep

Ok, I took upon myself to fix MD5 exporter that works with Blender 2.61 and get it working with Blender 2.62. Here is what I got: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?262020-Need-help-fixing-MD5-exporter&p=2171984#post2171984

Turned out that Blender 2.62 had change of heart about how matrices are handled. So I did my best, but now I am stuck. If someone can finish what i started, we all can have Blender 2.62 exporting MD5's. Thanks.