KatsBits Community

Alien Swarm

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
So Valve released Alien Storm for free on Steam this Monday and there's already custom maps being made for it.

A full SDK was also released providing access to client and server DLLs for the programmers out there and two map editors - tilgen and Hammer. Tilegen gives you a tile-based editor to drop down rooms to flesh out a quick layout while Hammer is used to create a unique map (not just another tile map).

There's currently only one Campaign and I'm wondering if anybody has plans to mod for this? I personally have a couple campaigns in mind that I'd like to see made.

Online kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Not really heard of the game, but good on them for releasing the tools; the one thing that Valve can't be faulted on is that they know the value their community brings to their games when they have access to the tools and SDK's. It flies in the face of other more profit/chart based companies and their 'philosophies' on the subject.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
kat, agreed and here is a link to the gametrailers page for alien swarm. the user posted movies at the bottom of the page offer more info:

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/alien-swarm/79