KatsBits Community

[blender] animation question

Offline Shaderman

• Defunct
Hi,

I have an armature with 5 bones mounted to it.

I'd like to rotate the armature around the y-axis...

but keep the initial transform of all mounted bones (Bone0 in this picture):

I know I could adjust every bone for every animation step of the armature, but I hope there's an easier way to do it (maybe some switch in Blender) :)

Any ideas?

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
There is... but you can guess what it means doing. You'll need to set up sets of control/target bones that use different types of relationships that then usual parent >> child. Personally I'd just do it the way you described; unless this were a series of objects that needed special anims I'd look towards a 'targeted' rig, but for something that simple it's not really worth the time if you['re just wanting to "git 'er done" - it'd probably take just as long to set up the complex rig as it would to just knuckle down and keyframe animate it.

Offline Shaderman

• Defunct
Thanks kat, I hoped there was a simple solution. Now I did it my way (© Frank Sinatra) :)

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
I haven't done any animation work for a couple of years but iirc we can set up one bone's keyframes and then copy and paste the size/rotation/location curves from the ipo window (if they still have that?) to other bones or objects.

Offline Shaderman

• Defunct
Thanks ratty, that sounds like it could work but it's too late now :)

I've completely remade that "model" because I found a much better solution for what I need. This thing is used in a game prototype and I think I can tell more about it soon... I should get out my other project first :)

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
@ shaderman, cool and I'll be interested to see what you've been working on.