KatsBits Community

Unity 4 Videos

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
thanks for looking milk, and cool, i'm downloading the video tutorial now.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
milk, that was fascinating. and your collision mesh, you built in blender for the bridge, was exactly how i was thinking i would build one for that model.

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
I'm glad you enjoyed the video, Ratty. I literally just threw that collision mesh together off the top of my head. I'd probably really end up using 2 planes angled to be ramps meeting at the center to get rid of the sides that my objects would never hit though.

I played with animations today. I had work to do at a house being remodeled though so didn't get around to recording a video yet. However, animations in Unity (especially Unity 4) is mind blowing. I'll have a video about it tomorrow.

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
I think I fixed my mic volume with the latest video. Messed with my soundcard settings.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
i'm downloading the latest video now, looking forward to it.

and that's very cool if collision meshes can be open meshes and or simple planes?

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
wow, that animated object was so cool, especially with the physics.

and your audio was better. but the unity and blender text was blurry, even in 720p, which i don't remember it being so with your other videos, did you capture at a lower res?

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
Glad to hear it.

I'm noticing that now that I look at the video on youtube. I hadn't changed any settings and uploaded it at 720p as I normally do. Very strange. I read that it can take youtube a while to generate all the sizes and that it could be a first pass encoding.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Just watched 5 and 6. Simple and approachable info. Looking forward to the remaining vids.

[EDIT]I've just installed a new YouTube AddOn. We should be able to include vids directly now so you might want to give that a try silicone (just embed the normal YT URL e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqIMbWKeXCA between the BBCode tags).

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
The latest video being blurry at 720p is really bothering me. It's still that way and it's been several hours. I can't think of anything different that I've done between that and the collision mesh video other than.... I think I installed my new AMD video card in between the video before last and the latest. I was using an nvidia card prior to that.

I'll check out the BBCode tag thing, Kat. That sounds cool.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
@kat, that's forum add on sounds cool. is there anything like that for the deviantart player?

@milk, it will be interesting to see what your next video's quality will be like. and it's probably just yt screwing up their encoding. i've occasionally seen people complain on let's plays, where some viewers in certain countries see a degraded version of 720p, while others see a high quality, possibly due to yt's regional servers ending up with different versions?

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
animation video is taking a while to make. Had to make a character and rig her up. Finishing painting some weights and I'm going to see how she deforms before doing some basic animation clips like Idle, Walk, Run, Jump.

Here's a solid/wireframe of the character from yesterday's work. ~790 tris total so far still need to model and rig hair. I'll probably be sitting at around 850-900 tris once she's finished. Yes, I realize the edges sit at a weird spot on her face cutting through her eyes.....I have plans to fix that later but ingame it's not an issue since the camera isn't close enough to see it.

I originally wanted her to have a scarf (I might still make a version with a scarf) to have something interesting to animate behind her as she runs around and jumps/rolls. I settled on long hair (pigtails or a ponytail) for now.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
cool, and i'm looking forward to seeing you get this model working in unity. am i correct in thinking unity has some built in animations for human rigs? i watched a couple of video tutorials yesterday but wasn't sure if they were 3rd party plugins.

and can we animate with bones any part of a model? do the bones get affected by gravity or would we fake that?

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Be mindful not to make her too poly heavy - based on the camera's distance and angle you might be able to get away with fewer, although it looks good so far for the purposes of the vids. *up*

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
what are the poly limits like with unity?

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
Ratty - From what I'm seeing with Unity's Mecanim system, you make animation clips in your modeling program of choice (Blender in this case) and Mecanim provides a state machine to blend animations together and create 'in-between' animations like running left/right, etc...

That's an excellent question on gravity. I will have to see.

As for poly limits, I'm nowhere near hitting anything unacceptable. I just really like lower-poly models. They give more of a 'game' feel in my opinion.

Kat - I haven't been stressing too much on detail because of the fact the character will be far from the camera, however, in the future, I'll be doing a very similar game with a perspective camera which will be able to zoom in up close on the model. Eventually I'll end up modeling eyes and such for eye tracking and whatnot.

Currently the face uses a 128x128 diffuse, the body will probably get a 256x256 since there isn't going to be too much small detail. I might stop living in 1998 and use a 1024x1024 for the body and 512x512 for the face.