Game Editing > 3D Modeling & Content Creation

[MD2] import and animation problems in Blender

(1/2) > >>

Asaeis Wi Vio:
Currently, I'm trying to add additional animations for the Quake 2 male player in Blender, but am having some difficulty copying the frame which uses the same animation that the rig is attached to to an open area of frames (as to not overwrite the current ones).

However, after parenting the model to the bone structure, when I paste the copied frame onto the desired empty keyframe, only the bones will be pasted. Also, when playing through the list of allready existing frames, the skeleton does not follow the frames, but when moving the skeleton consequently moves that part of the model.

This is what happens when I copy the frame onto a free frame:

Basically, the bones get pasted, but the model itself however doesn't move from the final frame of the final animation.

I am using Blender 2.49, and the model is an .md2 file from Quake 2.

Is there something I'm not doing? Or not doing right?

kat:
I'm slightly puzzled by this. How was the model orientated when it was imported? Was it lying on its back, side, front, or standing up? With regards to what's in the screenie that's a common problem when you parent a mesh to an armature that has a different orientation. In other words... if you press "N" to open the object properties panel check the "XYZ" readings of both the mesh and the rig, if they're different that's why it's flipped. Correcting this could be tricky depending on how the MD2 script works so you'll need to do a test. First orientate the mesh properly and then Ctrl+A to apply RotScale to ObData, that 'fixes' the orientation issue, then parent the mesh to the armature, this should stop it doing what it has.

I'm not entirely sure what's happening when you say "only the bones get copied" because if you're doing this correctly you're not copying "bones" but the "pose" they're in. I see you have the action editor open, but I don't see any keyframe markers in there (little yellow diamond shapes) - which is what should appear - that tells me that you may literally be copy/pasting the actual bones. To do what you need to you have to add a new "Action" (click the double headed arrow button to the left of the two "Up/Down" arrow iconed buttons in the header bar) and then press "I" to "insert" a keyframe, you should then see some markers appear in the Action Editor.

I do have a video tutorial in works on this stuff but its a long way off (I deleted and old capture I had). Thanks for posting this here by the way, YouTube is really annoying for anything more than "Hi I likes ur vidos".

[EDIT] I modified your topic heading to make it clearer what the post was about, saves people having to guess ;)

Asaeis Wi Vio:

--- Quote from: kat on June 02, 2010, 02:13:50 AM ---I'm slightly puzzled by this. How was the model orientated when it was imported? Was it lying on its back, side, front, or standing up?
--- End quote ---

The first animation is the same stance which the rig is placed in, just an idle frame.

--- Quote ---With regards to what's in the screenie that's a common problem when you parent a mesh to an armature that has a different orientation. In other words... if you press "N" to open the object properties panel check the "XYZ" readings of both the mesh and the rig, if they're different that's why it's flipped. Correcting this could be tricky depending on how the MD2 script works so you'll need to do a test. First orientate the mesh properly and then Ctrl+A to apply RotScale to ObData, that 'fixes' the orientation issue, then parent the mesh to the armature, this should stop it doing what it has.
--- End quote ---

A different orienatation? As in, in conjunction with the entire skeleton, or indevidual limbs?

The thing is, by default, this .md2 model has no conveniant default (crucified) animation, so it's fairly challenging to synchronise the bones with the mesh itself (or sheerly accurately, atleast).

--- Quote ---I'm not entirely sure what's happening when you say "only the bones get copied" because if you're doing this correctly you're not copying "bones" but the "pose" they're in. I see you have the action editor open, but I don't see any keyframe markers in there (little yellow diamond shapes) - which is what should appear - that tells me that you may literally be copy/pasting the actual bones. To do what you need to you have to add a new "Action" (click the double headed arrow button to the left of the two "Up/Down" arrow iconed buttons in the header bar) and then press "I" to "insert" a keyframe, you should then see some markers appear in the Action Editor.
--- End quote ---

Well, as in for some reason when selecting both the model and the bones, it's only the bone placements which get pasted, not the position/frame of the model aswell.

After adding a new action and adding a new keyframe to that action, while both using the shortcut and the item from 'pose', no markers appear. The model position doesn't get copied either.

I'm not sure if it means anything, but I noticed another icon in the action editor which copies a whole 'keyframe', so I tried clicking on it, and it said that there was nothing to copy.

--- Quote ---[EDIT] I modified your topic heading to make it clearer what the post was about, saves people having to guess ;)

--- End quote ---

Aha, thanks.

kat:
Send me the *.blend file (info@katsbits.com), there's something not right here and I can't quite figure out what based on what we've discussed so far (here and on YouTube).

Asaeis Wi Vio:
I sent you the .blend file which contains the model and the attached armature.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version