General Category > FAQ on games, gaming & IT

MXM graphics card upgrade (heatsink)

<< < (5/6) > >>

kat:
So long as the silicone is meant to be used for heatsinks, so basically 'high temperature resistant silicone pads' ('thermal pads'), they should be okay. There's debate about thickness to use but that's really going to depends on how much difference needs to be accommodated between surfaces (uneven surfaces and gaps) - between 0.5 mm and 1 mm seems to work for most applications (it'll get squashed to about half it's thickness under compression). Be a little generous with the size of the pad on the GPU die and make sure it's covered and then some, it's best to have too much than too little on those things.

The M5950 is a good card although slower than the M5100 but both should work without issue.

Polo:
Hey Kat,
I got the M5100 yesterday, and it seems to work like a charm. I did check the specs of the 5950 and I thought that it was probably better than the 5100. I do realize that it is 1 GB instead of being 2. I do look forward to testing the benchmark with the user benchmark application. This application seems to give fairly accurate results. At the end of the day, the results the benchmark give still state that my computer sucks. Even though I have 16 GB of RAM, 4 gigabyte CPU and what seems to be a fairly decent GPU card. Oh well, in the end this computer will end up costing me as much is a brand-new one. No complaints here, I do enjoy playing with old computers.
Regards, Polo

kat:
The 5950M (6700M in Windows) uses (G)DDR3 iirc whereas the M5100 uses GDDR5 so you should be getting at least twice the performance from the M5100 than the 5950M. And yep, this tech is getting a little long in the tooth but it will hold over for another year or two before a proper upgrade is necessary (ebay is your friend!).

decklus:
I have loved your site! A wealth of information.. I too have done the mxm mod with an m5100 similarly as you did on my hp 8200 usff, but on the year previous model(i5 2400)... but after trial and error realised a Intel  1155 CPU cooler fit perfect and this is the end result... So glad this amazing little pc is finding life amongst others too

decklus:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fP2YkxPBVepxRvwQ9

The setup.. can't get the image to insert properly... But once again happy to help anyone else with this setup

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version