Game Editing > General Content Creation

Technical WIP

<< < (2/7) > >>

ratty redemption:
agreed, interesting and very clean looking interface.

in my late teens I developed a cateract in my right eye which I eventually had operated on about 5 years ago, so I went many years with decreasing vision in that eye. not only was my vision getting very blurred but I was also seeing double in that eye and light was scattering across the lens.

not sure how you'd simulate all that but I can give you feedback if it would help.

carnage:
Ratty cateracts is one my to do list of impairments to simulate so feedback from someone who has expereinced the effects first hand would be very useful. If your willing it would also really help support the results in my thesis.

Your description of the symptons is very useful and gives me some clues about how I would implement it. If I were to make some quick mock ups of the effect in photoshop could you give me some feedback on how they could be improved to match the effect.

I am also particualry interested in how the effect progressed over time as one key goal of my thesis is simulating impairments with variable severity so they can be customized to simulate a given individuals impairments and give them an idea of how they could change over time. So they can make more informed desions when cosnidering corrective surgery

carnage:
Another little bit of progress. Over the weekend I have been playing with different methods of creating a blur shader. I think I have got something that gives the required visuals with an acceptable performance cost. Although not much use as a visual impairment on its own, this will form the basis for many of the visual impairments I have still yet to implement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FjhLPWFwr8

It does look a bit block and tends to snap between levels a blurriness in the video, luckily this is just a feature of the video compression on youtube the real thing is fairly smooth

carnage:
Hi guys haven't really been posting much here lately. Thought I would share some of the work that has gone on the past few weeks. Thrown together a simple office scene in blender to get a 3D environment to work with. Did actually prove to be very difficult because unlike working with a nice game engine XNA doesn't have any scene composition tools, or lighitng solutions etc. So had to manually unwrap all object to light-maps (the blender unwrap light-map tool doesn't really give good results) and bake from blender.

Original I was going to have textures and more interesting solutions. However this simple scene took a long time to get working mainly because every little change caused a large amount of work having to manually bake light-maps and reimport each asset and texture into XNA framework.

Here is the office scene as it stands. Will try get a video recorded later of walking around in the scene with impairments acting on it

ratty redemption:
@ carnage, I like your approach with this project, but sorry to hear of the workflow issues. hopefully your find enough workarounds to keep using these tools.

also I can still give you some feedback on the visual impairments if you ever need me. and feel free to pm or email me when the time comes if I don't appear to of seen your updates to this topic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version