KatsBits Community

IE8 and other browser issues

kat · 7 · 9755

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Has anyone else installed Internet Explorer 8? Apparently they've changed around some security settings, particularly with respect to Javascript, that seems to be playing havoc with the entire Operating system. The only computer that seems to be causing problems is the one with IE8 on it and it's constantly showing the following symptoms for all browsers (FF, Opera, Safari, Chrome); pages 'hang', don't open or just seem to get stuck when ever links are either LMB or MMB clicked (MMB opens pages into a new tab for those that don't know). It even does this when clicking links within e-mails!. It's pretty annoying and as with everything Microsoft, it's pretty messy to uninstall and revert back to the previous IE version so I'm a bit loath to do that.

So much for 'protecting' the user for doing stupid stuff... it's actually causing more problems than it's fixing. Anyone else having the same issues with IE8?

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
@ kat, I've been using winxp home edition and ie8 (originally the beta version) for a few months and normally I don't have those problems. but I do sometimes if I enable avg9's active surf shield.

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
I notice that with IE8 and Windows 7. To be fair, I found out there was only 1GB of ram in there and it was maxed out. Havent played around with the 2GB I put in there yet. (32 bit system)

Offline Shaderman

• Defunct

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
I uninstalled IE8, reverting back to IE7, and the problem seems to have diminished a significant amount; I'm still having the odd issue with video so I suspect that's a specific issue with Flash than with Internet Explorer. Overall the general link click problems mentioned above have gone so I guess the javascript security tweaks they added to IE8 have totally screwed around with 'normal' website usage. I really wish they'd stop adding these 'idiot proof' features.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
@ kat, so are you getting the same bugs with ie7?