Game Editing > 3D Modeling & Content Creation

3D Modeling WIP Topic

<< < (2/54) > >>

kat:
When you place the cracks think about where a rock like that would be stressed, that small crack on the top could be pushed back to the inner area where the shape changes and slopes upwards (to the upper area), so you take advantage of what would be a natural area where the object would be naturally stressed under the impact of whatever it was that broke the outer edge/side bit.

ratty redemption:
thanks kat and good suggestion, I'll keep this in mind if I'm going to make unique cracks for each rock. although first I'm going to test tiled cracks over the group of rocks that one came from.

ratty redemption:
I've just completed a test with using vertex weight painting to determine the strength of the displacements around the edges of my cracks. also as this was only a small part of the model, the baking was very quick.

kat:
Although all this experimentation is good, I can't quite see where you're going with it. To me looking at this from the outside, you're putting in a disproportionate amount of work without the corresponding return. What's you ultimate goal with all this? Will it make doing certain steps in asset production faster? Is combining normal maps the way you've been showing a quicker process than doing the same sort of thing in a photo-editor and so on.
???

ratty redemption:
good questions kat, and as you know I am a slow worker when figuring out how to do things for the first time, but ultimately I hope to use blender as my main app in the asset production, and I think several of these techniques are giving me more control over those assets then I would have swapping between various apps.

of course I might be wrong, time will tell but I am really enjoying myself so I don't feel any of these experiments are wasting time.

dersaidin has just asked me to work on a cliff face from his teams current map, and that will be a good practical test of the techniques I've been developing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version