General Category > Public Discussion

Mac Mini's, Small Form Factor PC's and content/game development

<< < (2/3) > >>

kat:
Just found these Nexus Psile Silverstone Mini-ITX. Apparently there is something called a "pico" form factor which is tiny compaired to 'standard' motherboards. They also appear to use laptop sized memory but still allow standard sized graphics cards - that's the thing for us doing content creation, we do need more power than is generally available from the 'net' PCs which tend to use the Intoel Atom CPUs and locked in GPU chipsets. Interesting stuff.

[EDIT]Mesh's 'Cute', Dell's Inspiron Zino HD, LittlePC 650 Dual Core.

Shaderman:

--- Quote from: kat on February 10, 2010, 08:21:24 AM ---...but still allow standard sized graphics cards
--- End quote ---
What is "standard sized"? Recent graphics cards often block a 2nd slot - I doubt that'll fit into these small cases.

Another point you should think about is a defect of one of the parts inside like PSU or fans. These will most likely not be "standard" which makes it harder to repair/replace - maybe you'll be forced to send the complete computer to your reseller or manufacturer.

kat:
True about sizing and yes, I'm betting these pre-built machines have the usual warranties in place as well that prevent you tinkering around inside them in the first place!. Most GFX cards I've seen tend to come one of two sizes; either 'double' or 'single' slot height. I think it's fair to say that yes, it's unlikely that these small cases will fit a double slot jumbo GFX cards (plus of course the heating issues that may create). It may not be necessary to go 'Pro' in that respect and buy double height cards; you can get a lot of bang for your buck with 'single' slot cards, providing you make a good choice.

kat:
Just read this about Dells Zino, seems reasonable for what it is. Obviously not a power house but good enough to at least play HD playback.

kat:
Apple have released info on the new, improved, redesigned MiniMac. Suggested retail price of £649 (incl. VAT).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version