Game Editing > General Content Creation

[Q4] what is Sky Caulk and how is it used?

(1/2) > >>

cuetip:
What is sky caulk and how is it supposed to be used?

ratty redemption:
iirc you would use it on the skybox faces that aren't visible to the player, ie the outside of the skybox and in between the joins. i might be wrong though, but i'm sure kat or one of the other guys will correct me if need be.

kat:
What Ratty said. Normal caulk can cause problems on brushes covered in sky shaders/textures so when you cut them up you use "sky" caulk instead of normal caulk on the unwanted sides. Same goes for "water" caulk, that does a similar thing - both are nodraw surfaces that are 'solid' to the engine.

cuetip:
Hmm. Well I loaded up a Quake 4 SP map, airdefense1, and the entire sky and sky walls were all sky caulk. What I don't understand is how the skybox texture is painted on the sky if no skybox texture is selected for those sky brushes. I tested the sky caulk texture and it doesn't contain any kind of skybox texture, as I expected. So how is id making an actual skybox texture appear in the sky using only sky caulk? I hid the sky caulk texture to check if there was an actual skybox texture under it, but there wasn't. Any ideas?

ratty redemption:
interesting and to clarify have you checked their sky shaders or just the textures?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version