KatsBits Community

Baking a Diffuse Texture Layout in Blender 2.58

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
Had a random idea while playing with the normal map baking feature and having a hell of a time getting a decent diffuse layout setup for painting on.

This is the result. (youtube video)

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Audio is a bit low for me but you can certainly see what you're doing. Nice job.

If you're still having trouble try baking out a separate AO map and using both in your photo editor to get a better diffuse. Alternatively once you've got the object UVW mapped you can save the map itself from the UV/Image Editor ("UVs > Export UV Layout"). Then there's the failsafe (but not really recommended approach) of taking a screengrab of the UV/Image editor with the UVW map visible.

An aside: it looks like you're loading old 2.49 files into 2.58 with the old interface? If you want to prevent this, when opening up an older file there's an option bottom left that says "Load UI", deactivate that and you'll load the contents without the messed up interface.

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
Thanks. I actually hear that my mic is too loud a lot. You didn't happen to have the video's volume turned down by any chance?  ;D

One of the problems I had with Export UV Layout is that the resulting layout doesn't have color-coded areas to give me an idea of which uv goes with which face.

As for the interface, that's a good tip, thanks. I actually open old 2.49 blend files by simply double-clicking on them and launching 2.58 from the file itself. Neither UI layout bothers me much. For some reason Blender freaks out occasionally with horizontal UI elements though. Odd.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
milk, i agree with kat, it's a good tutorial but the volume was too low on the video, and i also tested it by copying the .mp4 (720p) version from the temp internet folder into one of my own folders and playing it with media player classic. that has a volume boost feature but i still had this laptop's volume on full, normally youtube videos are fine with 50% volume for me.

also nice to hear your voice after all this time.

Offline silicone_milk

• VIP
    • My Portfolio
Hmm... that's quite strange. I can hear the recording clearly and I have speaker volume at 50% and youtube volume at 50%  :-\

I'll have to screw around with my mic settings I think for the next video.

Offline ratty redemption

• VIP
    • ratty's deviantart pages
milk, good luck with that. i really enjoy watching video tutorials, although i haven't been watching many ones on 2.5x but i think i'll start to watch more from now on. so please upload more when you have time.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Don't worry too much about the sound.. if you have some 'produced' audio to hand (talky bits in songs or soundtracks produced by mainline publishers, or a speach file from a game) as a rule of thumb compare what you've recorded to those, if they're the same then you'll be OK.

I'm not sure 2.5 has been made fully backward compatible with older versions because I've noticed that problem as well, what seems to happen is the tools get displayed the way 2.5 normal does it, rather than 'reverting' to using the older. Some functions don't display properly (or not at all) loading old into new so watch out for that.