Game Editing > Scripts & Support

[ASE] Blender 2.57 ASE Export WITH Multi-Material

(1/4) > >>

MCampagnini:
Please note: the ASE export script linked to below is provided by an offsite third party. Issues with the script itself (it not running in 'x' version of Blender for example) will require contacting the author directly.

ASE Export for Blender 2.6+
MCampagnini's ASE export script - supports ASE output with single or multiple materials and objects.
http://code.google.com/p/ase-export-vmc/

Download latest version (currently 2.5) for Blender 2.63
http://code.google.com/p/ase-export-vmc/downloads/detail?name=ASE250.zip

MC

kat:
Yes, that's correct. The current version of the script isn't saving out a properly formatted ASE file where "Material > Sub-Material" relationships are concerned for UDK/UT; it's basically exporting everything out as a 'parent' Material regardless as to wither that's on an object with single or multiple mesh elements.

So to correct the script, the way it *used* to be done was that the material/sub-material relationship was determined by the object relationships and material assignments - for UDK/UT you'd join individual meshes together into a single unit and export that out; the material assignments applied to that then determine the sub-material relationships.

In rich_'s defense, that script was written originally for idtech and his update was similarly tasked which is why it outputs correctly for Material/Sub-Goemobjects but not the other way around. Bear in mind also that it currently doesn't save mesh-smoothing/smooth-group info (properly formatted mesh/vertex splits).

[EDIT] forgot to add, that I'll see about hosting any 'fixed' versions on KatsBits.. I've never been keen on using those 'free' (*cough*) hosting sites

Neither of these will work properly in UDK because it can't read sub-objects or independent materials, both end up with one material applied to everything.

MCampagnini:
Bumping since I edited original post and added a download link.

kat:
Shaping up nicely. Will test this when I get a chance.

A couple of comments. Max saves data pertaining to smooth groups at the "face" (polygon) level instead of the vertex where Blender (and other 3D apps) store it iirc. It tends to cause problems because UDK is effectively looking for Max formatting (face data) typically ignoring/merging vertex splits - it's been a real PITA over the years this one.

If you export based on what you're doing right now, 'complex' models will export every material even if they reference the same texture image (which is what you showed in the vid funny enough). Ideally you want it the other way around so you guarantee only material/texture data used gets exported. That or preface everything with "collapse and remove" unwanted and/or duplicate materials (which people will always forget to do).

MCampagnini:
Thanks for the comments - it was an adventure.  I updated the script with your recommendations. 

With the current version a material will not be exported if

* It is not applied to any faces on the mesh
* the texture image slot is not unique
Getting there...

MC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version