KatsBits Community

Blender Basics tutorial + installation help

Offline ACDmvmkr

Help me please, I am new to Blender and am having the following difficulties..... whenever I start Blender, I get this little black text window that says
Code: [Select]
Compiled with Python version 2.6.2
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
Checking for installed Python.... No installed Python found.
Only built-in modules are available. Some scripts might not run.
Continuing happily.

I downloaded and installed on my computer this Python thing because the install site said to. I then removed the Python installation from "Program Files" directory, and re-installed it into it's default directory chosen by the installer, using all the defaulted directory path names. I then went into "My Computer" Properties, and added the pythonpath to the environmental variables window <system variables>.

This is the path of my current installation---
Code: [Select]
C:\Python27;C:\Python27\DLLs;C:\Python27\Lib;C:\Python27\Lib\lib-tk
Whenever I start Blender, I keep getting that above error message. What is going wrong???? (and what does it mean?). I'm running Blender 2.49b

thanks, Dave

-------------------------------

I'm following the tutorial, but when it gets to << Part 4: texturing >>, I get to "Loading an Image into a Materials Texture slot" and when I try to select the image, as directed, I don't get the same results that the tutorial shows anymore. There is no image list to select from apparently, not even a "generic4.tga" file like the tutorial shows. I am now stuck dead in the water. How can I continue?

thx, Dave

These are two separate problems....

[EDIT] tidied the odd formatting of your post had, which sometimes happens

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Welcome  ;D

First problem: Technically Blender doesn't need Python to run as it has a number of core files included that allow it to operate independently. Having said that you need to make sure you're using the correct version of Python for Blender (2.6.2 in this instance) and the path variables match the installation folder. So using "Python27", you need to be sure the actual folder Python is installed to is also called "Python27" (and visa-versa). As a side note the later versions of Blender may not need to to specifically set that path info so try UNinstalling if you can't get it to work.

Second Problem: Are you having difficulty loading the image into Blender, or having problems loading an image into the texture slot? They're related but require slightly different solutions, although both obviously rely on the image loading in the first place. If you have access to other images, try loading those to see if you have the same issue, that way we can narrow down were the issue is potentially happening.

Offline ACDmvmkr

first problem-

Python is installed literally as it is shown above. How do I get blender to see it is there and use it?

second problem-

I was following the tutorial literally page by page, but when I get to the section about loading images, this is what the tutorial shows I should get....

but this is what I actually get....

The tutorial mentions nothing else about if I have to make, or obtain and install these images or textures ahead of time, from somewhere else - only to do this, and then this, and then select what will come up.... Well, nothing seems to come up.

Remember, I am not a Blender user, so I don't know the things that others here will already know and take for granted for knowing. I've poked around the local directories and don't see the list that is appearently shown in the tutorial picture.

As far as "loading into blender" or "loading into a texture slot", I don't know what that means. The tutorial mentioned none of that.

thanks, Dave

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
With regards to the first problem. Unfortunately Blender can only use Python version it's compiled with, so you'll actually need to install 2.6(.x) for Blender 2.49 (check the console screen); it should just automatically pick that up without your necessarily having to set the Environment Variables.

With regards the second problem. I'm adjusting the tutorial at that point but for the sake or replying here.. yes  you won't see that because that's my PC ;)  Download the sample file and then open the various *.blends it contains. When you come to 'load' the image file, the browser should open in the same folder the *.blend file was loaded in from.

Otherwise yes when you have the file browser open as you've shown, click the double headed arrow on the left (under the button marked "P"), select a letter for a corresponding hard-drive to view it's containing folders. White text are folders, single click those to drill down into them and reveal their contents. Blue icons with black text names are images. To go back *up* the directories and folders, click the ".." at the top of the list. Blender does use the same metaphors as Windows to explore files, it's just that the 'icons' that represent those same actions are different.

Offline ACDmvmkr

First problem-

I have installed Python 2.6.2 as suggested. Blender DOES NOT automatically
see it, still getting the same old error message as above.

I cannot access the HELP menus as the message pops up that I need Python installed
in order to access the HELP feature.

Should I manually add it into the [Environmental Variables] screen?.... And if so,
what variable name should I use, as PYTHONPATH is already used for the 2.7 version.

Offline kat

• Administrator
    • KatsBits
Odd.. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't so yes, remove/replace the previous settings with ones applicable to 2.6.2. Just to clarify.. you're running XP Home/Pro and fully service packed and updated yes? Are there any other 'Python' apps on the system (some games that use python have been known to cause issues with Blender). If that doesn't work there's either something missing or something is interfering with the link up between Blender/Python.

Offline ACDmvmkr

Thanks!.... Python is working now with 2.6.2 installed and repathed in environmental vars.

Found some textures and imported them ,and am now making my own using photoshop as
well, this is a great product....still learning....