Game Editing > Scripts & Support

[ASE] Import/Export scripts for Blender 3D

(1/10) > >>

kat:
ASE Import and export scripts for Blender 2.5 series (up to 2.56+/- only. NOTE: may work with other versions - test before use). Both import and export scripts  should be placed in Blenders "scripts\addons" (or "scripts\io" if scripts\addons doesn't appear to be working) folder. If there are any other ASE scripts present it's best to remove or rename them as Blender 2.5 tends to like scripts following a specific naming convention.

Download

* Download ASE export for 2.56
* Download  ASE export for Blender 2.54 (inc, 2.55beta)
* ASE Import/Export for 2.53 here
* For Blender 2.6 series see link here (note this is an offsite script)Installation for 2.56+/-
Make sure you are using an officially released version of Blender (available from Blender.org) before using these scripts - in-development versions of Blender may break scripts so test before use.

Both scripts need to be placed in the following location;

--- Code: ---scripts\addons\
--- End code ---

For Windows Vista/Win7  users Blender's scripts folder is typically located in;

--- Code: ---C:\Users\[profile]\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.53\scripts\addons\
--- End code ---

Windows XP users should look in;

--- Code: ---C:\Documents and Settings\[profile]\Application Data\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.53\scripts\addons\
--- End code ---

Linux and Mac installation will differ depending on OS version used.

Using the ASE export script
For additional and extensive ASE export details read the ASE export tutorial here.

ASE Export
As with other scripts, select the object or objects that need to be exported and click "File »  Export » Ascii Scene Export (ase)". Type a name or select the file to overwrite, and then click the "Export ASE" button to export the model.

Model scale default is set to "16", this is a multiplier so it will scale your object up by sixteen (or "[n]" value input). To export objects 'as is', set the "Scale: [n]" value to "1" ("Scale: 1").

--- Quote ---Note: remember that you can export several objects as a single mesh to get a multi sub-object mesh (has several "GEOMOBJECTS" written into the ASE) with multiple materials. Or, an object where sub-objects are joined before export producing a single model with one multi-material. Additionally, it's currently not possible to export 'blank' meshes, i.e. all meshes need a material, texture and UVW map else the process reads them as being incomplete, halting the export procedure.
--- End quote ---

ASE Import
From the "File" menu select "Import » Ascii Scene Export (ase)", then select the file to be imported into Blender. To import a model 'as is' without altering the size of the object/s, from "Import ASE" section change the "Scale: [n]" value to "1" (default currently "0.06").

Problems and Errors
There are a couple of basic script related issues you need to be aware of when exporting or importing meshes and models;

* The script is currently written to halt on finding 'blank' meshes, i.e. a mesh object without materials, textures or UVW maps will stop the process.
* If Blender complains about 'periods', check the file names to make sure they're as follows as anything else may return a script error in the Python console.
* export_ase.py
* import_ase.py
* Similarly, if the script doesn't appear in the "File » Import/Export" menus check file name conforms to the above. 
Misc & UT/UDK editing
For Unreal Development Kit and Unreal Engine usage, models are not currently exported correctly where MULTI-MATERIALS (multiple materials) are needed; although objects do contain individual  elements, they are defined at the OBJECT and not the MATERIAL level. This means that models for UT/UDK can only contain ONE material and ONE texture. Other issues exist, for more details read this topic.

motorsep:
Doesn't work with 2.55.1

===================================
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/motorsep/software/blender25/2.55/scripts/io/export_ase.py", line 494, in invoke
    wm.add_fileselect(self)
AttributeError: 'WindowManager' object has no attribute 'add_fileselect'

===================================

kat:
I'm guessing that's the latest Graphicall(?) release? The scripts always break on those (unstable) in development versions of Blender, you must be using the officially released version available from Blender.org; the ASE exporter works in that (just tested it to double check).

motorsep:
Aye. Switched to official 2.55 beta.

shumphries:
I've installed the script, but when I try to use it I get an error to say that my mesh is not UV mapped.  Your instructions say the mesh must have material, texture and uv mapping.  That confuses me, because I thought that uv mapping was just a way to create a texture.  My lack of understanding, clearly.  Could you be more specific about what my mesh needs before I can export it, please. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version