Game Editing > General Content Creation

[Unity] Fantasy asset pack prefabs

<< < (6/6)

ratty redemption:
some variations of the spawners.

ratty redemption:
the last of the variations.

ratty redemption:
i've been doing some performance tests with the prefab spawners and their light objects.

considering i'm still using an old low end laptop, the performance of unity's standard material shader, using both alpha and additive blending seems pretty decent.

1st image has no light objects, only ambient lighting in the room. this is the fastest out of the 3 tests.

2nd image has a light object for each spawner decal. resulting in a lot of overlapping lights, which heavily impacts performance.

3rd has only 4 light objects, none of which overlap, and frame rate is good.

ratty redemption:
these 2 images show some place holder cogs, built in unity not blender, being animated by my new rotating manager script.

the two small cogs are intersecting in a realistic way, i think. despite having mesh colliders, and rotating in opposite directions. normally prefabs with colliders don't intersect, unless we want them to.

i also added in a toggle for the levers and buttons so they can reverse the direction of the cogs. in the 2nd image one lever does that, the other lever turns the rotation on and off.

we can use them to build certain machines, and the cogs can be any size we want.

it took me about 3 days of research and trial and error to figure out how to rotate the cogs at arbitrary angles, like the large cog. the smaller cogs facing upwards were relatively easy.

now i have the code for all that we can rotate most things we'd want.

ratty redemption:
just text in this update, it's also more related to scripting...

while testing my floor button scripts, which use the "auto activation" option from the trigger manager, as opposed to "manual activation" like levers use, i manged to break several times the double doors which were connected from the floor buttons.

they would become out of sync, so one half would be open and the other closed. i suspected this was due to the trigger manger having an "auto update" speed, where it switches between fast and slow updates, to save on cpu. problem is it's apparently unreliable.

so i'm removed the slow and auto update speeds and am now only using fast. it made the manager less complicated, which is good, but it currently means all triggers in a scene would be checked every physics frame.

i might write some system in the future, which enables and disables
triggers depending on the area the player or npc's are in, so giving the trigger manager less work to do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version